Funding for development research
Calls for new funding opportunities in development research run by the Department for International Development (DFID) or our development partners.
This page is aimed at organisations and researchers looking for information on funding opportunities in development research. It lists in date order a selection of current calls with a research, evidence or evaluation theme which are being run by DFID or by our programme partners. If you are interested in working for DFID you should also look at our supplier portal.
LDC interests for WTO Ministerial Conference 11
DFID is committed to increasing economic development and reducing global poverty as expressed in the Sustainable Development Goals. Trade is a key tool that can support developing countries to increase growth and help reduce poverty.
Following the success of the WTO Ministerial Conference in Nairobi in 2015 (MC10), where it was agreed to eliminate agriculture export subsidies (as mandated in the Global Goals), further analysis could support developing countries to be better prepared for the next Ministerial Conference in 2017 (MC11).
There is currently an opening within trade negotiations to consider new approaches other than the Doha Development Agenda. This policy space requires new research and ideas of what MC11 could deliver to benefit developing countries, in particular least developed countries (LDCs). In essence - what could be the development gains and offensive asks from LDCs in MC11?
Invitation to tender letter: WTO LDC (PDF, 92.3KB, 2 pages)
Invitation to tender instructions including the tender evaluation criteria: WTO LDC (PDF, 279KB, 15 pages)
Terms of reference: WTO LDC (PDF, 202KB, 3 pages)
Commercial pro-forma for submitting the cost breakdown: WTO LDC (MS Excel Spreadsheet, 32KB)
Interested parties are invited to submit tenders by 2pm UK time on 25 November 2016.
Scope for migration Rapid Evidence Assessment (REA) on livelihood interventions
In the medium to long term, DFID believes that the pressures to migrate irregularly will be effectively managed by eliminating poverty, creating jobs, driving economic growth, reducing conflict, building resilience and strengthening governance. DFID is working bilaterally and through international partners to reduce the drivers that contribute to people moving irregularly and to harness the development benefits of regular migration.
The aim of this REA is to quality assure and synthesise the evidence on the relationship between interventions to provide secure livelihoods and migrants’ choices to move. We want to better understand whether programmes to promote and support sustainable livelihoods have an impact on risky and irregular migration, as well as broader development outcomes.
Invitation to Tender letter: REA Migration (PDF, 92.6KB, 2 pages)
Invitation to Tender instructions, including the tender evaluation criteria: REA Migration (PDF, 278KB, 15 pages)
Terms of Reference: REA Migration (PDF, 301KB, 6 pages)
Commercial pro-forma for submitting the cost breakdown: REA Migration (MS Excel Spreadsheet, 32KB)
Interested parties are invited to submit tenders by 2pm UK time on Friday 9 December 2016.
Measuring the Influence of DFID’s Published Evaluations in 2015
DFID’s Evaluation Strategy sets out its approach to evaluation from 2014 to 2019. The key purpose of the strategy is to strengthen the evaluation system and ensure its effectiveness as a means for producing high quality evidence for learning and improvement of development interventions and ultimately contributing to the elimination of extreme poverty. Building on the Evaluation Strategy, DFID’s Evaluation Department (EvD) is currently focusing on prioritising and strengthening the use and influence of its evaluations.
DFID wishes to develop a rolling framework for how it measures the influence of individual evaluations, and use this framework to collect data which can be synthesised and analysed in terms of the value contribution of its evaluation portfolio annually.
DFID are now seeking a supplier to develop the draft framework, apply it to DFID’s evaluation portfolio in 2015 and draft terms of reference for the continuation of this work.
Invitation to tender letter: Evaluations (PDF, 143KB, 2 pages)
Invitation to tender instructions: Evaluations (PDF, 280KB, 15 pages)
Terms of reference: Evaluations (PDF, 211KB, 3 pages)
Commercial pro-forma for submitting the cost breakdown: Evaluations (MS Excel Spreadsheet, 31.5KB)
Interested parties are invited to submit tenders by 2pm UK time on Friday 23 December 2016.
Organisational Learning Baseline Review
Organisational learning is well-established as a priority for high performing organisations, especially those in areas, such as international development, that continually need to adapt to new challenge or changes in their environment.
We are seeking a contractor to establish a baseline for organisational learning in DFID against which progress can be measured. The baseline will be based on the Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) framework, and underlying Theory of Change, developed by DFID. In addition the contractor is asked to conduct a light touch assessment of the extent to which DFID has made progress in becoming a learning organisation since the ICAI report of 2014. This purpose includes identifying lessons learned and making recommendations as to how DFID might make further progress towards becoming a learning organisation in future.
Invitation to tender letter: baseline on organisational learning (PDF, 92.3KB, 2 pages)
Invitation to tender instructions: baseline on organisational learning (PDF, 257KB, 15 pages)
Invitation to tender terms of reference: baseline on organisational learning (PDF, 573KB, 19 pages)
Commercial pro-forma for submitting the cost breakdown: baseline for organisational learning (MS Excel Spreadsheet, 31.5KB)
Interested parties are invited to submit tenders by 2pm UK time on Friday 20 January 2017.
The Agri-Tech Catalyst
This supports businesses and academia in developing innovative solutions to challenges in the agri-tech sector. There are 2 competitions a year.
Published: 25 March 2013
Updated: 12 September 2016
- New call added: Disability and Climate Resilience Research Project
- Youth transitions in protracted crises call added
- Centre of Excellence for Development, Impact and Learning (CEDIL) details added
- The costs and benefits of ‘open skies’ in the East African Community (EAC) - Invitation to Tender added
- Agriculture-Nutrition Impact Studies requests for applications
- New Call added: Resolving the unresolved Non-tariff Barriers (NTBs) in the East Africa Community
- New call added: East Africa Research Fund (EARF)
- Improving Communication of Research and Evidence for Development (ICRED) research call details.
- New call added: The Effectiveness, Coherence and Accountability of the Humanitarian System: A Political Economy Analysis
- Humanitarian Evidence Programme Call for Proposals added
- New call added: Economic growth research in Low Income Countries
- New call added: What drives donors’ decisions on delegation to multilaterals in practice and what is the role of public opinion in these decisions?
- New call added: Humanitarian Evidence Programme
- New call added - Ensuring debt sustainability in developing countries through productive expenditure
- New call added: Changes in the arid and semi-arid lands in East Africa
- Revised terms of reference document added to "What drives donors’ decisions on delegation to multilaterals in practice and what is the role of public opinion in these decisions?"
- New call added: Growth and Economic Opportunities for Women (GrOW): Call for research proposals
- Royal Society-DFID Africa Capacity Building Initiative added
- New call added: ESRC/DFID Joint Fund for Poverty Alleviation Research Outline Research Grants Call 2014/15
- New call added: Health Systems Research Initiative Call 2
- Global Research Partnership Aquaculture call added
- Ebola Health Research Call added
- Improving Water Security for Poor People – Research (IWSP) added
- Online Research Portal Evaluation added.
- Removed: Toward ending Female Genital Mutilation/Cutting (FGM/C) in Africa and beyond: Research Programme
- Removed: Ecosystem Services for Poverty Alleviation (ESPA), 2014 Grants Call
- Two new calls added: Leveraging Agriculture for Nutrition in South Asia (LANSA): Call for Research Proposals and Political Settlements Research: Towards Open and Inclusive Settlements
- Added: Future Climate for Africa and Online Research Portal Evaluation
- Saving Lives at Birth: Round 4, request for applications removed
- New notice added "Royal Society-DFID Africa Capacity Building Initiative, Programme Grants" New notice added "Ecosystem Services for Poverty Alleviation"
- New Call for Implementation Research focusing on maternal, newborn and child health added
- New call added: ESRC/DFID Education and development: Raising learning outcomes in education systems call 2013-14
- New call added "Saving Lives at Birth: Round 4, request for applications"
- Health Research Mapping - Ghana added
- Revised call for Activity Based Learning (ABL) in Tamil Nadu added
- New call added: ESRC/DFID Joint Fund for Poverty Alleviation Research
- Removed expired content: Reseach mapping in South Africa and Kenya New call added: International Potato Center (CIP): Request for Personnel for External Impact Evaluation
- Removal of out of date calls
- Update to the call for expression of interest document for the Understanding Activity Based Learning (ABL) in Tamil Nadu and an extension to the closing date for the expression of interest and deadline for full proposals.
- Two new DFID/ESRC calls added
- New call added: Evaluation of Future Agricultures Consortium (FAC) and Understanding Activity Based Learning (ABL) in Tamil Nadu: Innovation in Pedagogy, Political Economy of Scale-up and the Impact on Learning Outcomes
- Added new call - Scaling Up Sweetpotato Through Agriculture and Nutrition (SUSTAIN): request for proposal for external impact evaluation
- Added new call for evaluation of thes Building Capacity to Use Research Evidence (BCURE) programme
- Added press release link to Health Systems Research Initiative call.
- Added advance notice for new programme on integrated water research
- Added new call for the International Growth Centre.
- Added new call for research mapping in Kenya and South Africa
- Added new call - Health systems research initiative call 1
- Added new calls for ESPA fellowships and WHO vacancy for a medical officer.
- Updated the call for proposals for systematic reviews with a comment about Question 10.
- Added new calls for China-UK-Africa trade: joint research and scoping, and Building resilience and managing risk in fragile and conflict-affected states.
- Added new call for proposals for systematic reviews for international development
- Added new call for Domestic violence in Ghana – short term research on prevalence, incidence and causes; updated exploratory grant call deadline for Private Enterprise Development in Low-Income Countries (PEDL) programme.
- Reinstated call for research programme on stimulating innovations in robust methodological approaches to impact assessment in agriculture, nutrition and health (deadline extended).
- Added vacancy notice for scientist to study harmful practices in reproductive health, especially female genital mutilation
- Added new call for Developing Operational Research Capacity in the Health Sector - project evaluation.
- Added new call for the Ecosystem Services for Poverty Alleviation (ESPA) mid-term review
- Added new call for Research for Health in Humanitarian Crises (R2HC)
- Added new call for service provider for the southern Africa regional human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) prevention programme
- Added a note on applications being sought for the post of coordinator for the Special Programme for Research and Training in Tropical Diseases (TDR)
- Added new calls for ESRC-DFID Joint Fund for Poverty Alleviation Research and the Joint Global Health Trials scheme, and updated deadline for the PEDL programme exploratory grant call.
- Added new call for a research programme on 'Stimulating innovative metrics and methods in agriculture, nutrition and health'
- Added new call for proposals for strategic research into national and local capacity building for disaster risk management.
- Added new call for UNRISD Evaluation.
- Updated the list of calls to include the consultancy services for the Tripartite climate change programme.
- Updated the deadline for the PEDL exploratory grant call to May 2013.
- Updated the list of calls to include the Plantwise programme.
- First published.