Funding for development research
Calls for new funding opportunities in development research run by the Department for International Development (DFID) or our development partners.
This page is aimed at organisations and researchers looking for information on funding opportunities in development research. It lists in date order a selection of current calls with a research, evidence or evaluation theme which are being run by DFID or by our programme partners. If you are interested in working for DFID you should also look at our supplier portal.
Improving user journeys for humanitarian cash transfers
DFID is looking to commission a supplier to manage a research study to investigate users’ experience of humanitarian cash transfer technological systems and delivery models and how those systems and models can best respond to people’s need and expectations within the technological landscape in which they are developed and delivered.
The UK’s priority will be in maximising the benefits from cash programming where it is appropriate: in particular, bringing efficiency and effectiveness, empowering people and optimising the longer term dividends like economic recovery.
The research will involve a combination of desktop review, interviews with international agencies and humanitarian organisations and networks, and user centred research with humanitarian recipients in protracted crises, including forcibly displaced people.
The study, which will be of considerable importance to DFID, is to be undertaken from June 2017 for up to 5 months. Interested parties are invited to submit tenders by 2pm UK time on Friday 2 June 2017.
Invitation to tender letter: humanitarian cash user journeys (PDF, 92.1KB, 2 pages)
Invitation to tender terms of reference: humanitarian cash user journeys (PDF, 228KB, 6 pages)
Early Market Engagement Event Summary (PDF, 133KB, 2 pages)
Commercial pro-forma for submitting the cost breakdown (MS Excel Spreadsheet, 32KB)
The deadline for submission of tenders is 2 June 2017.
The Development of New Health Technologies
This work is focused around the development of new or improved products to combat diseases that affect the poor and most vulnerable in low and middle income countries; where prevention or treatment is lacking or inadequate, or where there is resistance to current treatments. Bidding organisations, including Product Development Partnerships (PDPs), should:
- focus on diseases and health issues that impact on the poorest
- develop products specifically suited for use in low and middle income countries
- have public health as their primary objective rather than a commercial goal
- use private sector management practices including portfolio management and industrial project management
- generate global attention to their health area(s)/disease(s) of interest
Call for Expressions of Interest (PDF, 128KB, 6 pages)
Frequently asked questions and answers (PDF, 199KB, 3 pages)
Deadline for expressions of Interest 2pm 3 May 2017
The Agri-Tech Catalyst
This supports businesses and academia in developing innovative solutions to challenges in the agri-tech sector. There are 2 competitions a year.
Published: 25 March 2013
Updated: 21 April 2017
- Updated frequently asked questions document added
- Updated FAQs.
- Frequently asked questions: The Development of New Health Technologies updated
- New questions and answers added to the Development of New Health Technologies call
- Uganda Early Years Enrolment and Repetition Study added
- New call added: Disability and Climate Resilience Research Project
- Youth transitions in protracted crises call added
- Centre of Excellence for Development, Impact and Learning (CEDIL) details added
- The costs and benefits of ‘open skies’ in the East African Community (EAC) - Invitation to Tender added
- Agriculture-Nutrition Impact Studies requests for applications
- New Call added: Resolving the unresolved Non-tariff Barriers (NTBs) in the East Africa Community
- New call added: East Africa Research Fund (EARF)
- Improving Communication of Research and Evidence for Development (ICRED) research call details.
- New call added: The Effectiveness, Coherence and Accountability of the Humanitarian System: A Political Economy Analysis
- Humanitarian Evidence Programme Call for Proposals added
- New call added: Economic growth research in Low Income Countries
- New call added: What drives donors’ decisions on delegation to multilaterals in practice and what is the role of public opinion in these decisions?
- New call added: Humanitarian Evidence Programme
- New call added - Ensuring debt sustainability in developing countries through productive expenditure
- New call added: Changes in the arid and semi-arid lands in East Africa
- Revised terms of reference document added to "What drives donors’ decisions on delegation to multilaterals in practice and what is the role of public opinion in these decisions?"
- New call added: Growth and Economic Opportunities for Women (GrOW): Call for research proposals
- Royal Society-DFID Africa Capacity Building Initiative added
- New call added: ESRC/DFID Joint Fund for Poverty Alleviation Research Outline Research Grants Call 2014/15
- New call added: Health Systems Research Initiative Call 2
- Global Research Partnership Aquaculture call added
- Ebola Health Research Call added
- Improving Water Security for Poor People – Research (IWSP) added
- Online Research Portal Evaluation added.
- Removed: Toward ending Female Genital Mutilation/Cutting (FGM/C) in Africa and beyond: Research Programme
- Removed: Ecosystem Services for Poverty Alleviation (ESPA), 2014 Grants Call
- Two new calls added: Leveraging Agriculture for Nutrition in South Asia (LANSA): Call for Research Proposals and Political Settlements Research: Towards Open and Inclusive Settlements
- Added: Future Climate for Africa and Online Research Portal Evaluation
- Saving Lives at Birth: Round 4, request for applications removed
- New notice added "Royal Society-DFID Africa Capacity Building Initiative, Programme Grants" New notice added "Ecosystem Services for Poverty Alleviation"
- New Call for Implementation Research focusing on maternal, newborn and child health added
- New call added: ESRC/DFID Education and development: Raising learning outcomes in education systems call 2013-14
- New call added "Saving Lives at Birth: Round 4, request for applications"
- Health Research Mapping - Ghana added
- Revised call for Activity Based Learning (ABL) in Tamil Nadu added
- New call added: ESRC/DFID Joint Fund for Poverty Alleviation Research
- Removed expired content: Reseach mapping in South Africa and Kenya New call added: International Potato Center (CIP): Request for Personnel for External Impact Evaluation
- Removal of out of date calls
- Update to the call for expression of interest document for the Understanding Activity Based Learning (ABL) in Tamil Nadu and an extension to the closing date for the expression of interest and deadline for full proposals.
- Two new DFID/ESRC calls added
- New call added: Evaluation of Future Agricultures Consortium (FAC) and Understanding Activity Based Learning (ABL) in Tamil Nadu: Innovation in Pedagogy, Political Economy of Scale-up and the Impact on Learning Outcomes
- Added new call - Scaling Up Sweetpotato Through Agriculture and Nutrition (SUSTAIN): request for proposal for external impact evaluation
- Added new call for evaluation of thes Building Capacity to Use Research Evidence (BCURE) programme
- Added press release link to Health Systems Research Initiative call.
- Added advance notice for new programme on integrated water research
- Added new call for the International Growth Centre.
- Added new call for research mapping in Kenya and South Africa
- Added new call - Health systems research initiative call 1
- Added new calls for ESPA fellowships and WHO vacancy for a medical officer.
- Updated the call for proposals for systematic reviews with a comment about Question 10.
- Added new calls for China-UK-Africa trade: joint research and scoping, and Building resilience and managing risk in fragile and conflict-affected states.
- Added new call for proposals for systematic reviews for international development
- Added new call for Domestic violence in Ghana – short term research on prevalence, incidence and causes; updated exploratory grant call deadline for Private Enterprise Development in Low-Income Countries (PEDL) programme.
- Reinstated call for research programme on stimulating innovations in robust methodological approaches to impact assessment in agriculture, nutrition and health (deadline extended).
- Added vacancy notice for scientist to study harmful practices in reproductive health, especially female genital mutilation
- Added new call for Developing Operational Research Capacity in the Health Sector - project evaluation.
- Added new call for the Ecosystem Services for Poverty Alleviation (ESPA) mid-term review
- Added new call for Research for Health in Humanitarian Crises (R2HC)
- Added new call for service provider for the southern Africa regional human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) prevention programme
- Added a note on applications being sought for the post of coordinator for the Special Programme for Research and Training in Tropical Diseases (TDR)
- Added new calls for ESRC-DFID Joint Fund for Poverty Alleviation Research and the Joint Global Health Trials scheme, and updated deadline for the PEDL programme exploratory grant call.
- Added new call for a research programme on 'Stimulating innovative metrics and methods in agriculture, nutrition and health'
- Added new call for proposals for strategic research into national and local capacity building for disaster risk management.
- Added new call for UNRISD Evaluation.
- Updated the list of calls to include the consultancy services for the Tripartite climate change programme.
- Updated the deadline for the PEDL exploratory grant call to May 2013.
- Updated the list of calls to include the Plantwise programme.
- First published.