Funding for development research
Calls for new funding opportunities in development research run by the Department for International Development (DFID) or our development partners.
This page is aimed at organisations and researchers looking for information on funding opportunities in development research. It lists in date order a selection of current calls with a research, evidence or evaluation theme which are being run by DFID or by our programme partners. If you are interested in working for DFID you should also look at our supplier portal.
Review of Payment by Results in DFID: establishing the evidence base
Over recent years, DFID programmes have been generating a wealth of learning on the use of Payment by Results (PBR) as a financing mechanism in development programmes. The investment into monitoring, evaluation and learning is in direct response to the commitment from the Secretary of State to expanding the use of and evidence base for PBR, as laid out in the PBR strategy and PBR Evaluation Framework. The evaluation framework for PBR was created in an effort to guide this learning, a tool for those designing evaluations of different PBR mechanisms to understand the common theories of change, and questions underpinning those theories, that evaluations might focus on.
DFID are now seeking a supplier to produce a set of evidence syntheses, to identify trends and generalizable lessons in the growing DFID and external evidence base for the use of PBR.
Invitation to Tender letter (PDF, 92.4KB, 2 pages)
Invitation to Tender instructions, including the tender evaluation criteria (PDF, 286KB, 16 pages)
Terms of Reference (PDF, 440KB, 6 pages)
Terms of Reference (PDF, 440KB, 6 pages)
Interested parties are invited to submit tenders by 2pm UK time on Wednesday 2 November 2016.
VfM adaptation to the labour productivity impacts of higher temperatures in DFID Priority Countries
The UK Department for International Development (DFID) leads the UK’s work to end extreme poverty, building a safer, healthier, more prosperous world for all of us which is firmly in the UK’s national interest.
As part of this work we are committed to help developing countries adapt to the impacts of climate change.
Recent research (summarised in Shock Waves: Managing the Impact of Climate Change on Poverty; World Bank 2016) has highlighted impacts of higher temperatures on labour supply and labour productivity. These impacts could have significant macroeconomic consequences for developing countries.
We seek to find out what cost-effective (value for money) measures developing countries could take to adapt to address these impacts.
Invitation to Tender letter (PDF, 92.6KB, 2 pages)
Invitation to Tender instructions, including the tender evaluation criteria (PDF, 284KB, 15 pages)
Full Terms of Reference (PDF, 201KB, 5 pages)
Commercial pro-forma for submitting the cost breakdown (MS Excel Spreadsheet, 32KB)
Interested parties are invited to submit tenders by 2pm UK time on Monday 24 October 2016.
The Agri-Tech Catalyst
This supports businesses and academia in developing innovative solutions to challenges in the agri-tech sector. There are 2 competitions a year.
Published: 25 March 2013
Updated: 12 September 2016
- New call added: Disability and Climate Resilience Research Project
- Youth transitions in protracted crises call added
- Centre of Excellence for Development, Impact and Learning (CEDIL) details added
- The costs and benefits of ‘open skies’ in the East African Community (EAC) - Invitation to Tender added
- Agriculture-Nutrition Impact Studies requests for applications
- New Call added: Resolving the unresolved Non-tariff Barriers (NTBs) in the East Africa Community
- New call added: East Africa Research Fund (EARF)
- Improving Communication of Research and Evidence for Development (ICRED) research call details.
- New call added: The Effectiveness, Coherence and Accountability of the Humanitarian System: A Political Economy Analysis
- Humanitarian Evidence Programme Call for Proposals added
- New call added: Economic growth research in Low Income Countries
- New call added: What drives donors’ decisions on delegation to multilaterals in practice and what is the role of public opinion in these decisions?
- New call added: Humanitarian Evidence Programme
- New call added - Ensuring debt sustainability in developing countries through productive expenditure
- New call added: Changes in the arid and semi-arid lands in East Africa
- Revised terms of reference document added to "What drives donors’ decisions on delegation to multilaterals in practice and what is the role of public opinion in these decisions?"
- New call added: Growth and Economic Opportunities for Women (GrOW): Call for research proposals
- Royal Society-DFID Africa Capacity Building Initiative added
- New call added: ESRC/DFID Joint Fund for Poverty Alleviation Research Outline Research Grants Call 2014/15
- New call added: Health Systems Research Initiative Call 2
- Global Research Partnership Aquaculture call added
- Ebola Health Research Call added
- Improving Water Security for Poor People – Research (IWSP) added
- Online Research Portal Evaluation added.
- Removed: Toward ending Female Genital Mutilation/Cutting (FGM/C) in Africa and beyond: Research Programme
- Removed: Ecosystem Services for Poverty Alleviation (ESPA), 2014 Grants Call
- Two new calls added: Leveraging Agriculture for Nutrition in South Asia (LANSA): Call for Research Proposals and Political Settlements Research: Towards Open and Inclusive Settlements
- Added: Future Climate for Africa and Online Research Portal Evaluation
- Saving Lives at Birth: Round 4, request for applications removed
- New notice added "Royal Society-DFID Africa Capacity Building Initiative, Programme Grants" New notice added "Ecosystem Services for Poverty Alleviation"
- New Call for Implementation Research focusing on maternal, newborn and child health added
- New call added: ESRC/DFID Education and development: Raising learning outcomes in education systems call 2013-14
- New call added "Saving Lives at Birth: Round 4, request for applications"
- Health Research Mapping - Ghana added
- Revised call for Activity Based Learning (ABL) in Tamil Nadu added
- New call added: ESRC/DFID Joint Fund for Poverty Alleviation Research
- Removed expired content: Reseach mapping in South Africa and Kenya New call added: International Potato Center (CIP): Request for Personnel for External Impact Evaluation
- Removal of out of date calls
- Update to the call for expression of interest document for the Understanding Activity Based Learning (ABL) in Tamil Nadu and an extension to the closing date for the expression of interest and deadline for full proposals.
- Two new DFID/ESRC calls added
- New call added: Evaluation of Future Agricultures Consortium (FAC) and Understanding Activity Based Learning (ABL) in Tamil Nadu: Innovation in Pedagogy, Political Economy of Scale-up and the Impact on Learning Outcomes
- Added new call - Scaling Up Sweetpotato Through Agriculture and Nutrition (SUSTAIN): request for proposal for external impact evaluation
- Added new call for evaluation of thes Building Capacity to Use Research Evidence (BCURE) programme
- Added press release link to Health Systems Research Initiative call.
- Added advance notice for new programme on integrated water research
- Added new call for the International Growth Centre.
- Added new call for research mapping in Kenya and South Africa
- Added new call - Health systems research initiative call 1
- Added new calls for ESPA fellowships and WHO vacancy for a medical officer.
- Updated the call for proposals for systematic reviews with a comment about Question 10.
- Added new calls for China-UK-Africa trade: joint research and scoping, and Building resilience and managing risk in fragile and conflict-affected states.
- Added new call for proposals for systematic reviews for international development
- Added new call for Domestic violence in Ghana – short term research on prevalence, incidence and causes; updated exploratory grant call deadline for Private Enterprise Development in Low-Income Countries (PEDL) programme.
- Reinstated call for research programme on stimulating innovations in robust methodological approaches to impact assessment in agriculture, nutrition and health (deadline extended).
- Added vacancy notice for scientist to study harmful practices in reproductive health, especially female genital mutilation
- Added new call for Developing Operational Research Capacity in the Health Sector - project evaluation.
- Added new call for the Ecosystem Services for Poverty Alleviation (ESPA) mid-term review
- Added new call for Research for Health in Humanitarian Crises (R2HC)
- Added new call for service provider for the southern Africa regional human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) prevention programme
- Added a note on applications being sought for the post of coordinator for the Special Programme for Research and Training in Tropical Diseases (TDR)
- Added new calls for ESRC-DFID Joint Fund for Poverty Alleviation Research and the Joint Global Health Trials scheme, and updated deadline for the PEDL programme exploratory grant call.
- Added new call for a research programme on 'Stimulating innovative metrics and methods in agriculture, nutrition and health'
- Added new call for proposals for strategic research into national and local capacity building for disaster risk management.
- Added new call for UNRISD Evaluation.
- Updated the list of calls to include the consultancy services for the Tripartite climate change programme.
- Updated the deadline for the PEDL exploratory grant call to May 2013.
- Updated the list of calls to include the Plantwise programme.
- First published.