How local authorities should collect and submit data about providers of early years education to complete the annual early years census.
The early years census is a statutory census that takes place every January. You must complete statutory censuses by law unless there’s a good reason not to.
All local authorities must submit data for this census.
The census collects information about early years providers who receive direct government funding for 2-, 3- or 4-year-olds, including:
- all private, voluntary or independent nurseries and providers of early years education
- schools that provide day care for full days or in shorter sessions
- childminders and childminding networks
The 2018 census deadlines for:
- census day: Thursday, 18 January 2018
- local authorities to submit their data: Friday, 9 March 2018
Submit your data
You should submit your data using COLLECT, our centralised data collection and management system.
Note that we’ll only be able to change the status of your data submission to ‘authorised’, once you’ve cleared all errors in the data in COLLECT.
The following guidance document will help you complete the 2018 census:
The following technical document is available for local authorities and software suppliers:
If you are looking for guides from past early years census collections, visit the ‘Early years census: closed collections’ page.
Do you need help?
For complex questions, please use the service request form. We aim to answer your question within 5 working days.
Reset your Secure Access login details using the forgotten password or username form.
Please contact your school or local authority approver, if:
- you want to request a Secure Access username or password so you can access COLLECT
- ‘early years census’ isn’t on the list of collections you can see in COLLECT
If you don’t know who your approver is, please use the Secure Access service request form.
Please use the feedback form if you have any comments about our data collection service, including COLLECT and the helpdesk service.
Published: 25 March 2014
Updated: 6 July 2017
- Updated census documents and important dates for 2018.
- Added link to new generic COLLECT guides for schools and local authorities.
- Updated census dates for 2017. Added links to the 2017 guide for local authorities and the 2017 technical specification and validation rules.
- Added important dates for the 2016 collection and links to the 2016 guide and technical specification.
- Added a link to the 'Early years census 2015: local authority COLLECT guide' document.
- Added a link to the 'Early years census 2015: XML spreadsheet generator'.
- Added a link to 'Early years census 2015: guide'.
- Added a link to 'Early years census 2015: XML schema files'.
- Changed important dates and added a link to 'Early years census 2015: technical specification'.
- First published.