Darwin Initiative: applying for main project funding
Darwin Initiative: information on how to apply for main project funding
You will be able to apply for the Darwin Initiative under Round 24 of the scheme from late July 2017. The deadline for applications under the previous Round 23 was 5 December 2016.
Who can apply
There are no restrictions on the location or nationality of applicants, but projects must benefit biodiversity and local communities in developing countries.
Organisations making the application must:
- have experience of managing similar projects in developing countries
- be able to demonstrate financial stability and provide audited accounts
The proposed project leader must have suitable qualifications or at least 10 years’ experience working on similar projects in developing countries.
Level of funding
There is no specific minimum or maximum level for a main round project. The funding pot is however limited. In previous rounds awards have ranged from £80,000 to £310,000 for a three year project. For Round 23, the minimum project length is one year and the maximum is four years.
Before completing the application form, you might like to take a look at a case study showing an example of a successful main project.
Published: 22 May 2014
Updated: 16 November 2016
- Updated the stage 2 budget form.
- Clarification of Stage 1 closing date as Wednesday 10 August 2016 and updated Stage 1 and Stage 2 application forms attached to reflect the correct closing dates.
- To clarify a discrepancy between the timetable and the guidance regarding the deadline for submission of Stage 1 applications. Should be 12 August (as per the guidance) not 10 August as previously stated in the timetable on the GOV.UK page which has now been amended.
- Alerting the public that Round 23 is now open inviting Stage 1 applications for Darwin Initiative main projects.
- Updating the website to confirm that Round 22 is now closed and Round 23 will be launched in Summer 2016 and announcing that a recruitment exercise for new members of the Darwin Expert Committee is now open.
- Confirming when applicants will be notified of the outcome of Stage 1 applications.
- Darwin Initiative - Round 22 now open for main round project applications only. Other Darwin Initiative schemes (post projects, scoping projects and Darwin Fellowship awards) will be launched later this year.
- The application period for Stage 1 applications in 2014 for Darwin main round projects is now closed.
- updated guidance notes
- First published.
Related guides: Darwin Initiative: applying for post project funding Darwin Plus: environment funding for the UK Overseas Territories Darwin Initiative: scoping projects Darwin Initiative: Fellowship Awards