Darwin Initiative: applying for main project funding
Darwin Initiative: information on how to apply for main project funding
How to apply
Once you have read the guidance, please complete the Stage 1 application form Round 23 - Stage 1 application form (MS Word Document, 98.3KB) .
If you are invited to Stage 2, please complete the Stage 2 application form Round 23 - Stage 2 application form (MS Word Document, 111KB) .
A completed budget form Round 23 - Stage 2 Budget Form (Updated: November 2016) (MS Excel Spreadsheet, 99.5KB) must also be submitted with your Stage 2 application form.
When to apply
There is a two-stage application process for main round Darwin projects. The timetable for Round 23 is set out below:
- Wednesday 6 July 2016 - call for Stage 1 applications
- Wednesday 10 August 2016 - deadline for Stage 1 applications
- Early November 2016 - expected outcome of Stage 1 and notification of applicants invited to Stage 2
- Monday 5 December 2016 – deadline for Stage 2 applications
- By March 2017 - expected notification of successful projects
- From 1 April 2017 – expected start date for successful projects
Who can apply
There are no restrictions on the location or nationality of applicants, but projects must benefit biodiversity and local communities in developing countries.
Organisations making the application must:
- have experience of managing similar projects in developing countries
- be able to demonstrate financial stability and provide audited accounts
The proposed project leader must have suitable qualifications or at least 10 years’ experience working on similar projects in developing countries.
Level of funding
There is no specific minimum or maximum level for a main round project. The funding pot is however limited. In previous rounds awards have ranged from £80,000 to £310,000 for a three year project. For Round 23, the minimum project length is one year and the maximum is four years.
Before completing the application form, you might like to take a look at a case study showing an example of a successful main project.
Published: 22 May 2014
Updated: 16 November 2016
- Updated the stage 2 budget form.
- Clarification of Stage 1 closing date as Wednesday 10 August 2016 and updated Stage 1 and Stage 2 application forms attached to reflect the correct closing dates.
- To clarify a discrepancy between the timetable and the guidance regarding the deadline for submission of Stage 1 applications. Should be 12 August (as per the guidance) not 10 August as previously stated in the timetable on the GOV.UK page which has now been amended.
- Alerting the public that Round 23 is now open inviting Stage 1 applications for Darwin Initiative main projects.
- Updating the website to confirm that Round 22 is now closed and Round 23 will be launched in Summer 2016 and announcing that a recruitment exercise for new members of the Darwin Expert Committee is now open.
- Confirming when applicants will be notified of the outcome of Stage 1 applications.
- Darwin Initiative - Round 22 now open for main round project applications only. Other Darwin Initiative schemes (post projects, scoping projects and Darwin Fellowship awards) will be launched later this year.
- The application period for Stage 1 applications in 2014 for Darwin main round projects is now closed.
- updated guidance notes
- First published.
Related guides: Darwin Initiative: applying for post project funding Darwin Plus: environment funding for the UK Overseas Territories Darwin Initiative: scoping projects Darwin Initiative: Fellowship Awards