Darwin Initiative: applying for main project funding
Darwin Initiative: information on how to apply for main project funding.
How to apply
Once you have read the guidance, please complete the Round 24 - Stage 1 application form (MS Word Document, 174KB) .
If you are invited to Stage 2, please complete the Round 24 - Stage 2 application form [to be completed by invitation only] (MS Word Document, 271KB) [by invitation only].
A completed Round 24 - Stage 2 budget form (MS Excel Spreadsheet, 114KB) [by invitation only] must also be submitted with your Stage 2 application form.
When to apply
There is a two-stage application process for main round Darwin projects. The timetable for Round 24 is set out below:
- call for Stage 1 applications: Thursday 27 July 2017
- deadline for Stage 1 applications: Tuesday 12 September 2017
- expected outcome of Stage 1 and notification of applicants invited to Stage 2: Early December 2017
- deadline for Stage 2 applications (by invitation only): Monday 29 January 2018
- expected notification of successful projects: May 2018
- expected start date for successful projects: From 1 July 2018
Who can apply
Please refer to the Guidance for the list of countries eligible for the scheme. Organisations making the application must:
- have experience of managing similar projects in developing countries
- be able to demonstrate financial stability and provide audited accounts
The proposed project leader must have suitable qualifications or a minimum of around 10 years’ experience working on similar projects in developing countries.
Level of funding
There is no specific minimum or maximum level for a main round project. The funding pot is however limited. Further information on the size of Darwin Projects can be found in the Round 24 - Guidance (PDF, 1.27MB, 46 pages) .
Before completing the application form, you might like to take a look at a case study showing an example of a successful main project.
Published: 22 May 2014
Updated: 1 August 2017
- Darwin Stage 2 application form [to be completed by invitation only] updated.
- Information on how to apply for Darwin plus main project funding round 24.
- Updated the stage 2 budget form.
- Clarification of Stage 1 closing date as Wednesday 10 August 2016 and updated Stage 1 and Stage 2 application forms attached to reflect the correct closing dates.
- To clarify a discrepancy between the timetable and the guidance regarding the deadline for submission of Stage 1 applications. Should be 12 August (as per the guidance) not 10 August as previously stated in the timetable on the GOV.UK page which has now been amended.
- Alerting the public that Round 23 is now open inviting Stage 1 applications for Darwin Initiative main projects.
- Updating the website to confirm that Round 22 is now closed and Round 23 will be launched in Summer 2016 and announcing that a recruitment exercise for new members of the Darwin Expert Committee is now open.
- Confirming when applicants will be notified of the outcome of Stage 1 applications.
- Darwin Initiative - Round 22 now open for main round project applications only. Other Darwin Initiative schemes (post projects, scoping projects and Darwin Fellowship awards) will be launched later this year.
- The application period for Stage 1 applications in 2014 for Darwin main round projects is now closed.
- updated guidance notes
- First published.
Related guides: Darwin Initiative: applying for post project funding Darwin Plus: environment funding for the UK Overseas Territories Darwin Initiative: scoping projects Darwin Initiative: Fellowship Awards