A detailed guide to 2018 apprenticeships offered by the Defence Electronics and Components Agency (DECA); what we offer and how to apply.
A Ministry of Defence (MOD) new entrant apprenticeship with the Defence Electronics and Components Agency (DECA) gives you the opportunity to join us at a time of exciting change and growth. Recently assigned the contract to become the global repair hub for the UK’s new fighter jet, the F-35, DECA will provide repair, maintenance, overhaul and upgrade of electronic and electrical components, fuel, mechanical and hydraulic systems and ejection seats for the world famous platform. Our involvement in the support solution for F-35 will continue to develop our cutting-edge capabilities and secure investment and growth in our infrastructure and people and continue our proud heritage of providing pivotal support to our Armed Forces for many years to come. Joining our apprentice scheme will provide you with the opportunity to pursue an extremely rewarding career supporting UK Defence and the Armed Forces.
We are part of the UK MOD and support UK Armed Forces by providing expert electronic, optronic, avionic, cryptographic and general engineering repair, maintenance, overhaul and upgrade services to MOD and our industry partners. Our people’s skill and expertise make DECA a lean and forward thinking business with an impressive pedigree of military capabilities. We employ around 450 staff in Flintshire and Staffordshire and in deployed teams across various UK locations. As MOD civil servants, our staff can also deploy overseas in direct support of UK military operations.
DECA has exceptional facilities that include:
- purpose built electronic workshops
- fuel pump test facilities
- accredited calibration laboratories
- class 4 Tempest cleared cryptographic maintenance and storage facilities
- audiometric laboratory
- cryogenics school of excellence
- carpentry shops
- engineering work shops
DECA purpose aim and values
To be a trusted MOD and Industry partner, delivering assured electronics and components capability in support of Defence
We aim to be a highly professional team delivering benchmark support services to our customers.
We value our people by:
- creating an environment where all employees are proud to be part of DECA
- engaging with individuals and Trades Unions to include their views in decision making
- offering development opportunities to help realise full potential and recognise achievement
- respecting the knowledge and expertise of all employees and encouraging engagement
We promote teamwork and co-operation by:
- providing inspired leadership, encouraging empowerment and accountability
- working together with each other to achieve our purpose and aims
- actively supporting diversity and valuing everybody’s contribution
We care for our customers and stakeholders by committing to:
- understanding our customers’ needs through the development of strong relationships
- delivering high quality products and reliable services
- responding with urgency and developing agile and forward thinking solutions
- working to nationally and internationally recognised standards and accreditation
- fostering a positive presence in our local community
We deliver best value for defence and continuously improve by:
- striving for excellence in every aspect of our business
- further developing our responsiveness, flexibility and resilience
- being open to change and prepared to manage risk
- developing new capabilities to meet changing Defence requirements
Apprenticeships we are currently recruiting for
We offer a three stage MOD sponsored modern apprenticeship
Year 1 – full time at college
Successful apprentices will achieve a Foundation Engineering Apprenticeship
- NVQ Level 2 in Performing Engineering Operations
Year 2 - based at DECA with college day release
Successful apprentices will achieve:
- BTEC National Diploma in Electrical/Electronic Engineering.
Year 3 - full time at DECA
Successful apprentices will achieve:
- NVQ Level 3 in Engineering based on specific trade requirement of apprentice
Earn as you learn
Phase 1 - £14,347 p.a.
Phase 2 - £15,180 p.a.
Phase 3 - £18,093 p.a.
nationally recognised qualifications
26.5 days paid annual leave and 9 days public holidays
generous pension scheme
defence discount scheme
opportunities to pursue further higher education
opportunities to work in various locations across the UK and to deploy overseas
As an apprentice, you may be offered a permanent role within DECA following successful completion of your apprenticeship and your continued studies to gain a BTEC Higher National Certificate in Electrical Engineering.
We are committed to providing opportunities for employees to further their careers within DECA and the wider MOD and we fully support professional development such as higher education learning, MOD placements and membership of professional associations.
What we’re looking for
We are looking for highly motivated individuals with a real commitment to learn. Joining our business will be an exciting opportunity for you to make an impression, demonstrate your energy and drive, learn new skills, contribute to the delivery of business objectives, and most importantly become a valued member of our team. If you think this opportunity is interesting, a career at DECA might be just what you are looking for
Our minimum requirements
Applicants will need to achieve the following as minimum entry qualifications:
Four subjects GCSE at grade C/4 or above (including Maths, English and a relevant science or engineering subject)
You will be required to demonstrate in your application and, where applicable at interview, that you meet the requirements of the specified competences
You may need to pass a colour perception test, a hand skills and aptitude test and may be required to attend a medical examination
Your minimum age
- You will need to be 16 years on or before 31 August 2018
Applications and further information
You can apply for this apprenticeship here
You can also visit the civil service website and enter job reference 1576919
The closing date for receipt of completed application forms is midnight on 23 March 2018
If you are due to sit GCSE examinations during 2018 please enter predicted grades in the qualification section of the application form. Evidence of achieved grades will be required prior to completion of the recruitment process.
These are non-reserved posts open to UK nationals, commonwealth citizens and European Economic Area (EEA) nationals of other member states and certain members of their families who are non-EEA nationals.
The MOD is an Equal Opportunities employer and seeks to reflect the diverse community it serves. Applications are welcome from anyone who meets the stated requirements. Please note we treat all information supplied in connection with this advertisement in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998. For further information regarding the Civil Service Pension Scheme, please visit Civil Service Pensions