How local authorities should submit data for the alternative provision census.
The alternative provision (AP) census is a statutory census that takes place every January. You must complete statutory censuses by law unless there’s a good reason not to.
AP settings provide education for children who can’t attend a mainstream school.
The AP census collects information about pupils who are either:
- attending a school not maintained by a local authority (for example, a non-maintained special school) and the local authority is paying for the full tuition
- receiving education under arrangements made and funded by the local authority, but not in a school or a pupil referral unit (for example, pupils in community homes or units)
The 2018 census deadlines:
- census day: Thursday 18 January 2018
- deadline for submitting data: Friday 2 March 2018
Submit your data
Local authorities must collect the data from AP providers and supply it to us using COLLECT, our centralised data collection and management system.
Note that we’ll only be able to change the status of your data submission to ‘authorised’, once you’ve cleared all errors in the data in COLLECT.
These guides will help you complete the 2018 AP census:
The following technical document is available for local authorities and software suppliers:
If you are looking for guides from past AP census collections, visit the ‘Alternative provision census: closed collections’ page.
Do you need help?
Please use the service request form if you have any questions about your data. We aim to answer your question within 5 working days.
Reset your Secure Access login details using the forgotten password or username form.
Please contact your school or local authority approver, if:
- you want to request a Secure Access username or password to access COLLECT
- ‘AP census’ isn’t on the list of collections you can see in COLLECT
If you don’t know who your approver is, please use the Secure Access service request form.
Please use the feedback form if you have any comments about our data collection service, including COLLECT and the helpdesk service.