How local authorities should submit data for the alternative provision census.
The alternative provision (AP) census is a statutory census that takes place every January. You must complete statutory censuses by law unless there’s a good reason not to.
AP settings provide education for children who cannot attend a mainstream school.
The AP census collects information about pupils who are either:
- attending a school not maintained by a local authority (for example, a non-maintained special school) and the local authority is paying for the full tuition
- receiving education under arrangements made and funded by the local authority, but not in a school or a pupil referral unit (for example, pupils in community homes or units)
The 2019 census deadlines:
- census day: Thursday 17 January 2019
- deadline for submitting data: Friday 1 March 2019
Submit your data
You’ll need to:
- register and log in with DfE Sign-in
- use COLLECT to submit your school census data
Please contact your school or local authority approver, if:
- you want to request a DfE Sign-in username or password so you can access COLLECT
- ‘school census’ is not on the list of collections you can see in COLLECT
Get help using DfE Sign-in
If you do not know who your approver is, please use the DfE Sign-in request form.
If you’ve forgotten your password, use DfE Sign-in to reset it. You will need to click ‘Start now’ and then the ‘I’ve forgotten my password’ link.
Note that we’ll only be able to change the status of your data submission to ‘authorised’ once you’ve cleared all errors in the data in COLLECT.
These guides will help you complete the 2019 AP census:
The following technical document is available for local authorities and software suppliers:
If you are looking for guides from past AP census collections, visit the ‘Alternative provision census: closed collections’ page.
Do you need help?
Please use the service request form if you have any questions about your data. We aim to answer your question within 5 working days.
Please use the feedback form if you have any comments about our data collection service, including COLLECT and the helpdesk service.