Apply for this licence

Start now on the Northern Ireland Environment Agency (NIEA) website (PDF, 81KB)


You must inform Northern Ireland Environment Agency (NIEA) before exporting green list waste.

The classification of green list waste is complicated. Whether a substance is green list or not can vary depending on whether it is being exported to another EC member state or a non-OECD country.

Use the waste exports control tool on the Environment Agency website to find out if your waste is classified as green list.

How to apply

Download the application form from the NIEA website.

You must also:

  • have a contract for waste recovery with the person receiving the waste.
  • make sure the waste is treated in an environmentally sound manner both when moved and recovered

A copy of the form must accompany your shipment of waste, and the recipient of the waste must sign the form on receipt and keep it for 3 years.