Working for British Embassy Tel Aviv
Working at the British Embassy offers a unique and rewarding opportunity to grow professionally while collaborating with a talented group of individuals.
Current job opportunities at the British Embassy
The British Embassy in Tel-Aviv is seeking to recruit a Political Officer A2(L) Grade. As a member of the Political Section, you will be part of a diverse team of policy and programme experts working together to support, shape and deliver UK policy. Given the importance of Knesset politics in determining Israel’s policy, maintaining good contacts and an excellent awareness of developments in the legislature is a crucial aspect of the UK’s understanding of Israel.
The successful candidate will give the Embassy oversight of - and access to - the Knesset. The core functions of the job are: building and maintaining a strong network in the Knesset with MKs and their advisors, and with relevant external commentators, NGOs and pollsters; organising meetings for the political section with political figures across the parties; reporting on developments in coalition and opposition dynamics; reporting on developments in Israeli legislation and committee discussions; assisting with inward official visits from the UK. The job holder will also be responsible for overseeing activities of the UK-Israel Parliamentary Friendship Group, and helping respond to letters from members of the British public and UK Parliament on domestic politics and internal affairs.
Responsibilities will include:
- Maximise UK influence at the Knesset. Build and maintain a strong network among MKs and their advisors. Fix meetings with MKs for Embassy political team on a weekly basis. Build and maintain network of relevant commentators, pollsters and NGOs, to deepen understanding of Israeli politics.
- Report on developments in Israeli politics and Knesset developments, including elections, legislation, committees and party dynamics - both verbally and through concise written updates. Conduct and deliver Embassy press review on regular basis.
- Oversee UK-Israel Parliamentary Friendship Group. Act as a liaison between UK parliament and the Knesset. Organise Friendship Group events involving parliamentary delegations to Israel.
- Support incoming UK official visits. Assist with organisation of Embassy events with political flavour.
The successful candidate will need to be able to demonstrate:
- Fluent in speaking and writing in both English and Hebrew. Capable of Hebrew/English interpretation.
- High competency in Microsoft Office and computer literacy.
- Understanding of Israeli politics and the Knesset.
- Self-motivated individual able to take initiative with strong interpersonal skills
- Strong customer focus – ability to work as a team
- Proven ability to deliver results
- Managing a Quality Service - Effectiveness in this area is about being organised to deliver service objectives and striving to improve the quality of service, taking account of diverse customer needs and requirements.
- Delivering at Pace - Effectiveness in this area means focusing on delivering timely performance with energy and taking responsibility and accountability for quality outcomes. Political Officer Grade A2(L)
- Collaborating & Partnering - People skilled in this area create and maintain positive, professional and trusting working relationships with a wide range of people within and outside the Civil Service to help get business done.
- Making Effective Decisions - Effectiveness in this area is about being objective; using sound judgment, evidence and knowledge to provide accurate, expert and professional advice.
- Changing & Improving - People who are effective in this area are responsive, innovative and seek out opportunities to create effective change.
Working Hours and Remuneration:
The Embassy aims to offer an attractive working environment and remuneration package for this role, including the salary of ILS 9,254 per month plus social benefits. Parking facilities will not be provided or paid for by the Embassy. Successful candidate would work from Sunday to Thursday inclusive – total of 37.5 weekly hours. Office is based in Tel Aviv, however, successful candidate should anticipate that the majority of the working week will be spent in Jerusalem at the Knesset.
Please click here to apply.
Application deadline: 13th May 2016.
Applications received after the stated deadline will not be considered.
Due to the large amount of applications we receive only those shortlisted for assessment will be contacted. Unsuccessful applicants will not be notified.
The selection process will include an interview and a written exercise.
The successful candidate will be required to undergo security vetting procedures. Any offer of employment will be subject to the candidate achieving suitable clearances.
The British Embassy Tel Aviv is an equal opportunities employer, dedicated to inclusivity, a diverse workforce and valuing difference.
Job opportunities at the British Council
Check out job opportunities with our friends at the British Council.
We cannot reply to all unsolicited requests for work.
Only candidates applying for a specific position and invited for an interview will be contacted.