The Magna Carta Fund is the FCO’s dedicated strategic fund supporting our global human rights and democracy work.
Magna Carta Fund for Human Rights and Democracy
The Magna Carta Fund for Human Rights and Democracy (MCFHRD) is the FCO’s dedicated strategic programme fund supporting our global human rights and democracy work. Through targeted projects, it aims to further British interests overseas by tackling the root causes of human rights violations, strengthening institutions and governance, supporting the promotion and protection of human rights, democracy and the rule of law.
Human Rights Themes
The Fund has three priority themes:
- Democratic values and the rule of law - Uphold universal rights, democracy and the rule of law as key building blocks for more secure and prosperous societies;
- The rules-based international order - Support an effective rules-based international order that stands up for universal rights;
- Human rights for a stable world - Promote a more stable world by upholding universal rights in tackling conflict and extremism.
The British Embassy San Jose is now inviting project bids for financial year 2016/17. All projects must be completed by 31 March 2017.
Project bids will be assessed against the following criteria:
- Value for money;
- Alignment with the Magna Carta Fund Human Rights and Democracy Strategy and the FCO’s Foreign Policy Priorities;
- Evidence of local demand or need;
- Project viability, including capacity of implementing organisation;
- Project design, including clear, achievable impact;
- Risk and stakeholder management;
How to apply
For further information on the fund and how to apply (including the proposal forms), please see https://www.gov.uk/guidance/human-rights-and-democracy-programme.
Project concept forms related to San Jose should be submitted to the British Embassy San Jose by 5 February via: mailto:Denise.Lewis@fco.gov.uk.