The Embassy, the Chilean British Chamber of Commerce and CREO Antofagasta hosted seminar about city sustainability and the mining industry.
The British Embassy joined the Chilean British Chamber of Commerce and Plan CREO Antofagasta to host the Seminar “Antofagasta: City, Mining and Sustainability, Where are we headed?” on Thursday 21 November 2014. The event, held at the National Library in Antofagasta, included presentations regarding future energy efficiency initiatives in city from Arturo Molina, the Regional Energy Authority (SEREMI), and Nicola Borregaard, from the Ministry of Energy. A representative from the Carbon Trust UK was also present to share UK and international case studies in energy transformations.
During the event, the seminar participants learned about the progress of current projects in Antofagasta such as the British Embassy’s Prosperity Fund project “Action Plan for the city of Antofagasta´s Sustainable Energy Strategy” implemented by Fundacion Chile, Carbon Trust UK, Plan CREO Antofagasta and the University of Antofagasta. The project aims to facilitate the deployment of a sustainable, cost-effective and low-carbon energy strategy for Antofagasta particularly through local renewable energy and energy efficiency initiatives.
The seminar culminated with the signature of a “Green Credit” agreement between the Ministry of Energy, the Antofagasta Construction Chamber, BCI Bank, the University of Antofagasta and the Association of Real Estate Developers. The agreement was developed as part of the prosperity project mentioned above and seeks to compensate individuals or companies that develop or acquire homes that incorporate renewable energy technologies such as solar power.
The seminar was part of the activities the British Embassy in Santiago carried out as part of the GREAT Month that took place during November in Chile.
The full list of presentation titles from the seminar programme included:
- “The UK’s vision - Sustainability and future cities” - Heather Goodale, British Embassy Santiago.
- The energy agenda” - Arturo Molina, Regional Energy Authority (SEREMI).
- Solar power platform in the Atacama Desert – Investments and regional awareness” - Carlos Arenas, Universidad de Antofagasta.
- “Managing environmental projects and community engagement” - Mathieu Vallart, Pricewaterhouse Coopers.
- “Antofagasta’s local energy efficiency strategy – Advances, orospects and impacts” - Martin Elton, Fundacion Chile and CREO Antofagasta.
- “Energy transformation examples in homes and neighbourhoods” - Daniel Perdomo, Carbon Trust UK.
For more information about this event, contact Felipe Osses, Climate Change and Green Growth Officer, British Embassy, Santiago.
Visit the CREO Antofagasta website to learn more about the Project.
Press article about the Green Credit agreement signed in Antofagasta.