The Environment Agency routinely measure, monitor and report on a range of hydrological parameters to assess the water situation across England. They do this using their own hydrometric data, together with data provided by the Met Office and water companies.
They do this for:
- the amount of rain that falls
- how dry the soils are and how much rain they can soak up
- the amount of water flowing in rivers
- the amount of water stored below ground in aquifers and above ground in reservoirs
- the outlook for river flow and groundwater over the coming months
Water situation reporting for Wales is published by Natural Resources Wales.