Annual statistics on 'Total Income from Farming', a measure of the performance of the UK agricultural industry.
PDF, 389KB, 13 pages
This file is in an OpenDocument format
Statistical notice published on 25th May 2017 corrects errors found in the edition published on 27th April 2017. For further information on these corrections please see the revisons note on page 1 and page 11 of the statistical notice.
This publication gives information about the aggregate income of the UK agriculture sector, known as Total Income from Farming (TIFF), a measure of the performance of the whole agricultural industry. Aggregate agricultural accounts are a tool for analysing the economic situation of agriculture and are used to support policy making in the UK and EU.
Total Income from Farming is income generated by production within the agriculture industry including subsidies and represents business profits and remuneration for work done by owners and other unpaid workers. It excludes changes in the values of assets, including stocks, due to price changes but includes non-agricultural activities such as further processing or tourist activities where these cannot be separated from the agricultural business. It is the preferred measure of aggregate income for the agricultural industry conforming to internationally agreed national accounting principles required by the UK National Accounts and by Eurostat.
The aggregate balance sheet for the United Kingdom agricultural industry values the total assets and liabilities for agriculture at the end of each calendar year and estimates the net worth of the industry. There are methodological changes to the aggregate balance sheet land prices in the May 2015 edition. These changes improve the land area calculation and have been made back to 1984.
If you require datasets in another format such as Excel, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Next update: see the statistics release calendar
Published: 30 April 2013
Updated: 25 May 2017
- Corrected statistical notice issued, see correction note on front page of notice.
- Correction to units mentioned in AWU commentary.
- Updated with Total Income from Farming 2016, 1st estimate - statistical notice and dataset.
- Updated with second estimate for 2015 statistic notice and dataset plus 2015 balance sheet.
- Updated with first estimate for 2015 statistic notice.
- Total Income from Farming 2014 – 2nd estimate, United Kingdom and datasets published.
- The reason for the update is: Dataset updated due to correction to item 10, other agricultural activities, in both real and current account tables. There are no revisions to the accompanying statistic notice.
- Updated to include revised balance sheet figures as published in the AUK 2014 publication.
- Total income from farming in the UK 2014, 1st estimate published
- Update to email address on page.
- Updated edition for 2013.
- Updated to include aggregate balance sheet.
- Updated to include 1st estimate 2013 figures.
- Updated to include the second estimate of Total Income from Farming in the United Kingdom for 2012.
- Minor error in text corrected.
- Updated to include the first estimate of Total Income from Farming in the United Kingdom for 2012.
- First published.