Licensed taxis, private hire vehicles, drivers and operators statistics in England and Wales as at March 2013.
Planned changes after 2013. We no longer intend to publish these statistics on a regular basis in future; data will be collected as required to meet user needs. If you have any feedback on this change or other aspects of these statistics please let us know by email to email@example.com.
- there were an estimated 78 thousand taxis and 153 thousand licensed private hire vehicles (PHVs) in England and Wales, a total of 231 thousand vehicles. This represents a fall of 0.7% from 2011 when these figures were last collected.
- the total number of taxis and PHVs increased 18% between 2005 and 2009, but by only 2% between 2009 and 2013.
- 31% of the total licensed taxis and PHVs in England and Wales are in London.
- an estimated 58% of licensed taxis are wheelchair accessible, this is 100% in London.
- overall, there were 297 thousand taxi or PHV driver licenses in England and Wales, around 2 thousand fewer than in 2011. 52% of licences are PHV-only, 21% taxi-only and the remaining 26% dual licences.
Public enquiries 020 7944 3077