Estimates of road traffic by:
- vehicle type
- road type
- geographical region
in Great Britain for the year 2020.
Road traffic trends during 2020 have been affected by the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic in the UK. Motor vehicle traffic on Great Britain roads decreased by 21.3% between 2019 and 2020, to 280.5 billion vehicle miles.
When compared to the year 2019:
- car traffic decreased by 24.7%
- the figure of 209.6 billion vehicle miles was the lowest annual estimate in the last 29 years.
- van traffic fell by 9.1%
- lorry traffic fell by 5.7%
- traffic on the Strategic Road Network decreased by 25.1%
- motorway traffic decreased by 25.3%.
- ‘A’ roads saw a 23.2% decrease in traffic
- minor road traffic decreased by 17.2%