This release presents provisional estimates for road traffic in Great Britain for the fourth quarter (October to December) of 2012, and provisional annual traffic estimates for 2012.
- The key provisional annual result is: The volume of all motor vehicle traffic fell slightly by 0.4% to 302.6 billion vehicle miles in 2012 compared to 2011.
- Comparing Q4 (October to December) 2012 with the same quarter the previous year:
- Between quarter four of 2011 and quarter four of 2012 motor vehicle traffic increased slightly, by 0.4%, to 76.7 billion vehicle miles.
- Light goods vehicle traffic continued to increase with growth of 3.2% between quarters four of 2011 and 2012.
- Traffic volumes increased on rural roads, decreased on urban roads and were broadly stable on motorways when compared to the same period in 2011.
Technical information/Pre-release access list
- Information on traffic statistics, including the pre-release access list and related technical documentation can be found here