This statistical first release (SFR) reports absence in England during the autumn term 2012 in:
- local-authority-maintained primary schools
- local-authority-maintained secondary schools
- city technology colleges
It is based on pupil level absence data collected via the spring 2013 school census.
This release provides local level information on the rates of absence (authorised, unauthorised and overall) by:
- type of school
- number of persistent absentees and the number on track to becoming persistent absentees
- the proportion of absence by reason
In the autumn term 2012:
- the overall absence rate across state-funded primary and secondary schools increased, from a low of 4.7% in 2011 to 5.2% in 2012, having been 6.4% in 2008
- the percentage of pupils who were on track to become persistent absentees or were already persistent absentees increased, from a low point of 5.3% in 2011 to 6.4% in 2012, having been 9.9% in 2008
Data for autumn term 2011 was published in June 2012.