Statistics on individual local parishes and the amount of Council Tax collected on their behalf by billing authorities.
This is the first year that the Department for Communities and Local Government has collected Council Tax data on individual parishes, charter trustees and Temples. In previous releases this data was reported at local authority level only.
The key points from the release are:
- in England there are over 10,000 local parishes, 16 charter trustees and 2 Temples of London
- of these, 8,805 parishes, charter trustees and Temples (local precepting authorities) instructed their billing authority to collect Council Tax on their behalf in 2013 to 2014, with a collective tax base of 7.3 million band D equivalent properties
- 241 of the 326 billing authorities have parishes; the number of parishes that require the collection of Council Tax within a local authority ranges from 1 to 238
- the total Council Tax collected on behalf of parishes and charter trustees, and apportioned to Temples in 2013 to 2014 is £367 million, representing 1.6% of the total Council Tax requirement for England of £23.4 billion
- the average band D Council Tax bill for local precepting authorities in 2013 to 2014 is £50.19, which is an increase of £2.45, or 5.1% on the 2012 to 2013 figures