Reference Id: SFR12/2010
Publication Type: Statistical First Release
Local Authority data: LAD data
Release Date: 26 May 2010
Coverage status: Final
Publication Status: Published
The pupil residency based tables are broken down by gender, free school meal eligibility and ethnicity. These latest statistics complement the 2007 to 2008 absence figures which were previously published on 9 July 2009.
The following data is available:
- Pupil absence in schools referenced by location of educational institution at national, regional, local authority district (LAD) and middle layer super output area (MSOA) level.
- Pupil absence in schools by gender, referenced by location of pupil residence, at national, regional, LAD, MSOA and lower layer super output area level.
- Pupil absence in schools by ethnic group referenced by location of pupil residence, at national, regional, district LAD and MSOA level.
- Pupil absence in schools by free school meal eligibility referenced by location of pupil residence, at national, regional, LAD and MSOA level.
The key points from the latest release are:
- The tables reinforce messages in previous publications about patterns of absence and the relationship between absence and pupil characteristics (gender, free school meal eligibility and ethnic group) at national, regional and local level.
- Resident girls have higher levels of overall absence than boys. The difference in overall absence between girls and boys is largest in the south-west and lowest in London.
- Resident pupils known to be eligible for free school meals have higher levels of overall absence in every local authority district than those known not to be eligible for free school meals.
- Resident Chinese pupils have the lowest levels of overall absence across all regions.
0207 340 8043