Local area statistics on participation in sport and active recreation, produced by Sport England and DCMS.
These figures were released on 16 June 2011, according to the arrangements approved by the UK Statistics Authority.
8 December 2011
October 2009 to October 2011
Local Authority level data
Previous release date
16 June 2010
The previous release can be found on the Statistics section of this website
Next release date
June 2012 - Interim data will be published for local area statistics of adult sport and active recreation participation.
This report presents local area statistics on participation in sport and active recreation using results from Sport England’s Active People Survey (APS) 5. Data published for County Councils and those authorities that have boosted samples will be based on Active People Survey data from October 2010 to October 2011.
For the other authorities, the statistics are based on the 24 month period October 2009 to October 2011 giving a sample size of 1000. The report is accompanied by a workbook containing local area estimates.
For details on participation in sport and active recreation, please refer to Sport England’s website.
The estimates are available in the Excel workbook.
- Local area statistics on sport participation (XLS 153kb)
- Local area statistics on sport participation counties and boosted (CSV 6kb)
- Local area statistics on sport participation local authorities not boosted (CSV 39kb)
Updated 8/12/11, 10:30am: correction of data
Map showing cultural and sporting participation
A map is also provided, showing participation across the unitary and district authorities of England.
The document below contains a list of DCMS Ministers and Officials who have received privileged early access to this release of Active People survey data. In line with best practice, the list has been kept to a minimum and those given access for briefing purposes had a maximum of 24 hours.
- Hugh Robertson, Minister for Sport and the Olympics - DCMS
- Daniel Thorne, Policy - DCMS
- Cathy Page, Policy - DCMS
- Kate Hilton Press office - DCMS
- Jennie Price, Chief Executive - Sport England
- Mike Diaper, Executive Director - Sport England
- Chris Perks, Director Local Relationships - Sport England
- Ruth Alleyne, Strategic Lead - Sport England
- Peter Dickinson, Head of Communications - Sport England
The UK Statistics Authority
This release is published in accordance with the Code of Practice for Official Statistics (2009), as produced by the UK Statistics Authority (UKSA). The UKSA has the overall objective of promoting and safeguarding the production and publication of official statistics that serve the public good. It monitors and reports on all official statistics, and promotes good practice in this area.