Light rail and tram statistics are collected annually to inform the development and monitoring of light rail policy. Figures present information on usage, infrastructure and revenue for the 8 systems which are urban and primarily surface-running.
In the financial year ending March 2019:
- light rail use in England reached record levels of passenger journeys and vehicle miles since 1983
- 272.4 million passenger journeys were made on the 8 systems
- a 2.8% increase in passenger journeys in England (outside London)
When comparing to the financial year ending March 2018:
- vehicle mileage increased by 4.1% to 22.5 million miles
- light rail revenue increased by 3.9% (an increase in real terms of 2.1%)