Light rail and tram statistics are collected annually to inform the development and monitoring of light rail policy. Figures present information on usage, infrastructure, revenue and passenger experience for the 8 systems which are urban and primarily surface-running.
In the financial year ending March 2018:
- light rail and tram use in England decreased by 0.2%
- 267.2 million passenger journeys were made on the 8 systems
- a 2.4% increase in passenger journeys in England (outside London)
- 56% of passenger journeys were in London (on Docklands Light Railway and London Tramlink)
- vehicle mileage remained stable when compared to year ending March 2017
- light rail and tram revenue increased by 2.7% when compared to year ending March 2017