Statistics on light rail and tram systems in England.
The statistics are collected annually to inform the development and monitoring of light rail policy. Figures present information on usage, infrastructure and revenue for the 8 systems which are urban and primarily surface-running.
In the financial year ending March 2016:
- light rail use in England reached record levels of passenger journeys and vehicle miles since 1983
- 252.0 million passenger journeys were made on the 8 systems, a 5.8% increase on the previous year
- growth in passenger journeys occurred mainly in England outside London with a 11.0% increase to 108.1 million journeys
- 57% of passenger journeys were in London, on Docklands Light Railway and London Tramlink
- vehicle mileage increased by 14.2% mainly due to extensions on Manchester Metrolink and Nottingham Express Transit systems
- light rail revenue increased by 9.3% in real terms to £336.9 million when compared with the previous financial year