Light rail and tram statistics, England: year ending March 2016
- Department for Transport
- Part of:
- Light rail and tram statistics, Rail network, Local transport, Passenger journeys, vehicle miles and occupancy (LRT01), Light rail and tram fleet and infrastructure (LRT02), Revenue from light rail and trams (LRT03), London and Glasgow underground and Edinburgh trams (LRT99), and Other government data sources (LRT04)
- First published:
- 7 June 2016
- Applies to:
Statistics on light rail and tram systems in England, including passenger journeys, vehicle miles, infrastructure and user profiles.
PDF, 3.3MB, 13 pages
This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request an accessible format.
If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.
Statistics on light rail and tram systems in England.
The statistics are collected annually to inform the development and monitoring of light rail policy. Figures present information on usage, infrastructure and revenue for the 8 systems which are urban and primarily surface-running.
In the financial year ending March 2016:
- light rail use in England reached record levels of passenger journeys and vehicle miles since 1983
- 252.0 million passenger journeys were made on the 8 systems, a 5.8% increase on the previous year
- growth in passenger journeys occurred mainly in England outside London with a 11.0% increase to 108.1 million journeys
- 57% of passenger journeys were in London, on Docklands Light Railway and London Tramlink
- vehicle mileage increased by 14.2% mainly due to extensions on Manchester Metrolink and Nottingham Express Transit systems
- light rail revenue increased by 9.3% in real terms to £336.9 million when compared with the previous financial year
Public enquiries 020 7944 3094
Published: 7 June 2016
From: Department for Transport
Part of: Light rail and tram statistics Rail network Local transport Passenger journeys, vehicle miles and occupancy (LRT01) Light rail and tram fleet and infrastructure (LRT02) Revenue from light rail and trams (LRT03) London and Glasgow underground and Edinburgh trams (LRT99) Other government data sources (LRT04)