- Department for Communities and Local Government
- Part of:
- House building: new build dwellings statistics and Live tables on house building: new build dwellings
- 20 November 2014
- Last updated:
- 3 December 2014, see all updates
- Applies to:
House building starts and completions statistics by tenure.
Ref: ISBN 9781409843719 PDF, 1.96MB, 25 pages
This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request an accessible format.
If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.
The latest national statistics on house building in England were released on 20 November 2014 and revised on 3 December 2014.
Statistics in this release present figures on new build housing starts and completions in England. Figures for the UK and constituent countries are also available in the accompanying tables.
The latest statistics report on the period July to September 2014 and update those previously released on 21 August 2014.
Key points from the latest release are:
- seasonally adjusted house building starts in England are estimated at 32,890 in the September quarter 2014, an 11% decrease compared to the previous quarter; the seasonally adjusted level of starts in the September quarter 2014 increased by 1% on the same quarter a year earlier
- seasonally adjusted completions are estimated at 31,190 in the September quarter 2014, 3% higher than the previous quarter; the seasonally adjusted level of completions in the September quarter 2014 increased by 9% on the same quarter a year earlier
- private enterprise housing starts (seasonally adjusted) were 10% lower in the September quarter 2014 than the previous quarter, whilst starts by housing associations were 22%
- seasonally adjusted private enterprise completions increased by 1% and housing association completions rose by 10% from the previous quarter
- seasonally adjusted starts are now 92% above the trough in the March quarter 2009 but 33% below the March quarter 2007 peak; completions are 36% below their March quarter 2007 peak
- annual housing starts totalled 139,500 in the 12 months to September 2014, up by 17% compared with the year before; annual housing completions in England totalled 117,070 in the 12 months to September 2014, an increase of 8% compared with the previous 12 months
Published: 20 November 2014
Updated: 3 December 2014
- After publication in November some discrepancies were identified between the published live tables and the quarterly house building statistical release. This updated release now includes the appropriate amendments.
- First published.