This statistical release presents Official Statistics on the number of home purchases and the value of equity loans under the government Help to Buy equity loan scheme, as well as the number of purchases under the government’s Help to Buy: NewBuy scheme (formerly known as ‘NewBuy’).
It does not cover statistics regarding the Help to Buy mortgage guarantee scheme, which have been published by HM Treasury.
The figures presented in this release cover the first 18 months of the Help to Buy equity loan scheme, from the launch of the scheme on 1 April 2013 until 30 September 2014.
The main points were:
- in the first 18 months (to end September 2014), 33,911 properties were bought with the support of the Help to Buy equity loan scheme
- the total value of these equity loans was £1.42 billion, with the value of the properties sold under the scheme totalling £7.14 billion
- the mean purchase price of a property bought under the scheme was £210,429, compared with a mean equity loan of £41,897
- the majority of home purchases in the Help to Buy equity loan scheme was made by first time buyers, accounting for 28,401 (84%) of total purchases
- for the NewBuy Guarantee scheme, 99 home purchases were made in quarter 3 2014; this brings the total number of house purchases up to 5,518 since the launch of the scheme in March 2012
Further breakdowns of cumulative sales under the Help to Buy (equity loan) scheme is available from Open Data Communities.
This allows users to quickly and easily navigate local level data. The figures cover the first 18 months of the scheme, from the launch of the scheme on 1 April 2013 until 30 September 2014, with breakdowns available:
- by local authority
- by Parliamentary Constituency (for the 94% of sales where the property’s postcode does not straddle a constituency boundary); figures have been attributed to an individual constituency by reconciling data against the ONS Postcode Directory (May 2014) where possible - figures for some constituencies may be subject to revision later in the year
- by postcode sector (eg NN9 5..), shown only for postcode sectors with 3 or more cases, to minimise the possibility of individual households being identified (for the 91% of sales occurring in postcode sectors with 3 or more cases)
- by postcode district (eg NN9 …), shown only for postcode districts with 5 or more cases, to minimise the possibility of individual households being identified (for the 97% of sales occurring in postcode sectors with 3 or more cases)
The next monthly release will include activity to 30 September 2014, and will be published on 28 November 2014.
A mapping application drawing directly on data from Open Data Communities is also available.