Driver and rider testing and instructor statistics: October to December 2015
- Department for Transport
- Part of:
- Driving tests and instructors, Practical driving and riding test pass rates (DRT01), Practical car test pass rates (DRT02), Practical motorcycle test pass rates (DRT04), Practical large goods vehicles (LGV) test pass rates (DRT05) Practical passenger carrying vehicles (PCV) test pass rates (DRT06), Approved driving instructor test pass rates (DRT07), Driving theory tests (DRT50), Numbers of approved driving instructors (INS01), and Compulsory training and incident statistics (INS05)
- 10 March 2016
Statistics on the number of practical driver and rider tests undertaken as well as approved driving instructor statistics in Great Britain.
This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request an accessible format.
If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email email@example.com. Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.
Information on the number and pass rates of driving and riding practical tests conducted in Great Britain for the quarter October to December 2015, and also statistics on driving instructors.
We are conducting a survey of those who use these statistics, we would welcome your participation.
The statistics are derived from data held by the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA), which administers the driving test and training schemes in Great Britain.
During October to December 2015:
- 423,000 practical and 523,000 theory tests were conducted, 90% being car tests
- an increase of 13% for theory tests, but a 3% decrease in practical tests compared to October to December 2014
- the number of Large Goods Vehicle (LGV) tests continued to rapidly increase
- there were 22% more LGV tests compared to October to December 2014, reflecting the current high demand for professional lorry drivers
There were also notable increases in the amount of people taking motorcycle theory (up 17%) and car theory tests (up 12%) in comparison to October to December 2014.
The number of Approved Driving Instructors on the register followed the slow downward trend of recent years (now at 40,000), 13% less than there were four years previously.
Driving tests and instructors statistics
Public enquiries 020 7944 4139
Published: 10 March 2016
From: Department for Transport
Part of: Driving tests and instructors Practical driving and riding test pass rates (DRT01) Practical car test pass rates (DRT02) Practical motorcycle test pass rates (DRT04) Practical large goods vehicles (LGV) test pass rates (DRT05) Practical passenger carrying vehicles (PCV) test pass rates (DRT06) Approved driving instructor test pass rates (DRT07) Driving theory tests (DRT50) Numbers of approved driving instructors (INS01) Compulsory training and incident statistics (INS05)