Details of the collection rates for Council Tax and national non-domestic rates in England in 2013 to 2014 were announced on 3 July 2014.
The latest statistics release includes data from 2004-05 to 2013-14 and updates those statistics previously released on 26 June 2013.
- local authorities in England achieved a national average in-year collection rate for Council Tax of 97% in 2013 to 2014, which is a decrease of 0.4% over 2012 to 2013
- the collection rate in all types of authority fell; the biggest falls were in metropolitan areas, which fell by 0.8%, and unitary authority areas which fell by 0.6%
- local authorities in England collected £23.4 billion in Council Taxes by the end of March 2014 out of a total of £24.1 billion collectable; this is £1 billion more than the same period in 2012 to 2013
- at 31 March 2014, the total amount of Council Tax still outstanding amounted to £2.528 billion; this is an increase of £152 million or 6% on the figure at the end of March 2013
- local authorities in England achieved a national average in-year collection rate for non-domestic rates in England of 97.9% in 2013 to 2014, which is an increase of 0.2% over 2012 to 2013
- the collection rates for each type of authority rose by 0.2%