Information on parking badges for disabled people (“Blue Badges”) in England, including numbers of valid badges on issue, and the number issued. The data are derived from the department’s annual survey of local authorities issuing Blue Badges.
In the financial year ending March 2012:
- the estimated number of valid Blue Badges held was 2.62 million, a decrease of 1.1% from the revised figure of 2.65 million for the previous year, which was the highest annual figure recorded. This is the first year to experience a decline since 1997
- 37% were issued under the ‘without further assessment’ criteria, 62% were issued under the ‘subject to further assessment’ criteria and 1% were issued to organisations. These proportions have remained broadly similar since 1997
- 5% of the English population held a valid Blue Badge, a decrease of 0.1 percentage points from 2011
- the estimated number of Blue Badges issued in England was 905,000, a decrease of 3.4% from the previous year
- the overall reduction in number of badges held between 2011 and 2012 has been driven by a decline of 4.3% in the number of badges issued under the ‘subject to further assessment’ criteria in the last year
View this data in an interactive chart
Information on blue badge statistics, including the pre-release access list, and related technical documentation are available.