Information on parking badges for disabled people (“Blue Badges”) in England in the financial year ending 2011, including numbers of valid badges, applications and medical assessments. The data are derived from the Department’s annual survey of local authorities issuing Blue Badges.
The figures in table DIS0110 were revised in July 2012 to correct an error in the calculations for this table.
In the financial year ending March 2011:
- the estimated number of valid Blue Badges held was 2.56 million, compared to 2.55 million in 2010, an increase of 0.6%
- 4.9% of the English population held a valid Blue Badge, unchanged from 2010
- of valid badges held, 36% were issued under the ‘without further assessment’ criteria, 63% were issued under the ‘with further assessment’ criteria and 1% issued to organisations. These proportions have remained broadly similar since 1997
- the estimated number of Blue Badges issued was 939,000
- the estimated number of new (as opposed to renewal) applications for Blue Badges decreased from 418,000 to 395,000 between the financial year ending 2010 and 2011
Information on blue badge statistics, including the pre-release access list, and related technical documentation are available.