- Department for Transport
- Part of:
- Bus statistics, Local bus passenger journeys (BUS01), Vehicle distance travelled (BUS02), Passenger distance travelled (BUS03), Subsidies and concessions (BUS05) Costs, fares and revenue (BUS04), Vehicle stocks technology and equipment (BUS06), Employment (BUS07), Frequency and waiting times (BUS09), and Number of trips and information systems (BUS10)
- 23 September 2014
Bus statistics in Great Britain, including passengers, mileage and vehicle fleet, for the year ending March 2014.
PDF, 1.59MB, 22 pages
PDF, 186KB, 1 page
This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request an accessible format.
If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email email@example.com. Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.
A range of statistics on buses in Great Britain, including passenger journeys, vehicle miles, costs, fleet and staff. Information on bus operator revenue will be added in December 2014.
The statistical summary relates only to England to match the coverage of Department for Transport bus policy, but the tables also cover Scotland and Wales.
In the year ending March 2014, the number of bus passenger journeys:
- increased 2.3% in England as a whole, with 4.7 billion journeys in total
- increased 3.0% in London, which accounts for half of all journeys
- increased 1.5% outside London, the first increase since the year ending March 2009, with greater growth in non-concessionary journeys
Over the same period, bus service mileage:
- fell by an estimated 0.3% in England overall
- was at the same level as the previous year in London
- fell 0.4% outside London, with a 7% fall in mileage on services financially supported by local authorities (which accounts for 19% of the total) partly offset by an increase in mileage on commercial services
At March 2014, 84% of buses in England had the accessibility certificate which will be required for all buses operating local services by 2017 at the latest (98% of buses in London and 79% outside London).
Public enquiries 020 7944 3094
Published: 23 September 2014
From: Department for Transport
Part of: Bus statistics Local bus passenger journeys (BUS01) Vehicle distance travelled (BUS02) Passenger distance travelled (BUS03) Subsidies and concessions (BUS05) Costs, fares and revenue (BUS04) Vehicle stocks technology and equipment (BUS06) Employment (BUS07) Frequency and waiting times (BUS09) Number of trips and information systems (BUS10)