Bus statistics in Great Britain, including passengers, mileage and vehicle fleet, for the year ending March 2016.
Statistics on buses in Great Britain, including passenger journeys, vehicle miles, costs, fleet and staff. Information on bus operator revenue has been added.
The summary relates only to England to match the coverage of Department for Transport bus policy, but the tables also cover Scotland and Wales.
In the year ending March 2016, the number of bus passenger journeys:
- decreased by 2.6% in England
- decreased by 3.0% in London
- decreased by 2.1% outside London
Over the same period, bus service mileage:
- fell by an estimated 2.0% in England
- was at the same level in London
- fell 2.8% outside London
- on commercial services fell by 0.8%
At March 2016, 94% of buses in England had the accessibility certificate which will be required for all buses operating local services by 2017 at the latest (100% of buses in London and 92% outside London).
Public enquiries 020 7944 3094