Annual bus statistics: year ending, March 2016
- Department for Transport
- Part of:
- Bus statistics, Vehicle distance travelled (BUS02), Passenger distance travelled (BUS03), Vehicle stocks technology and equipment (BUS06), Employment (BUS07) Frequency and waiting times (BUS09), Subsidies and concessions (BUS05), Local bus passenger journeys (BUS01), and Costs, fares and revenue (BUS04)
- 18 October 2016
- Last updated:
- 13 December 2016, see all updates
Bus statistics in Great Britain, including passengers, mileage and vehicle fleet, for the year ending March 2016.
PDF, 1.1MB, 14 pages
This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request an accessible format.
If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email email@example.com. Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.
PDF, 232KB, 1 page
Statistics on buses in Great Britain, including passenger journeys, vehicle miles, costs, fleet and staff. Information on bus operator revenue has been added.
The summary relates only to England to match the coverage of Department for Transport bus policy, but the tables also cover Scotland and Wales.
In the year ending March 2016, the number of bus passenger journeys:
- decreased by 2.6% in England
- decreased by 3.0% in London
- decreased by 2.1% outside London
Over the same period, bus service mileage:
- fell by an estimated 2.0% in England
- was at the same level in London
- fell 2.8% outside London
- on commercial services fell by 0.8%
At March 2016, 94% of buses in England had the accessibility certificate which will be required for all buses operating local services by 2017 at the latest (100% of buses in London and 92% outside London).
Public enquiries 020 7944 3094
Published: 18 October 2016
Updated: 13 December 2016
- Bus operator revenue figures now been added to the annual report.
- First published.
From: Department for Transport
Part of: Bus statistics Vehicle distance travelled (BUS02) Passenger distance travelled (BUS03) Vehicle stocks technology and equipment (BUS06) Employment (BUS07) Frequency and waiting times (BUS09) Subsidies and concessions (BUS05) Local bus passenger journeys (BUS01) Costs, fares and revenue (BUS04)