- Department for Transport
- Part of:
- Bus statistics, Road network and traffic, Local bus passenger journeys (BUS01), Vehicle distance travelled (BUS02), Passenger distance travelled (BUS03) Costs, fares and revenue (BUS04), Subsidies and concessions (BUS05), Vehicle stocks technology and equipment (BUS06), Employment (BUS07), and Frequency and waiting times (BUS09)
- 29 September 2015
Statistics on buses in Great Britain, including passengers, mileage and vehicle fleet, for the year ending March 2015.
PDF, 2.07MB, 17 pages
This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request an accessible format.
If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.
PDF, 110KB, 1 page
A range of statistics on buses in Great Britain, including passenger journeys, vehicle miles, costs, fleet and staff. Information on bus operator revenue will be added in December 2015.
The statistical summary relates only to England to match the coverage of Department for Transport bus policy, but the tables also cover Scotland and Wales.
In the year ending March 2015, the number of bus passenger journeys:
- decreased by 0.6% in England as a whole, with 4.65 billion journeys in total
- increased by 0.1% in London, which accounts for more than half of all journeys
- decreased by 1.3% outside London continuing the long-term decline in passenger journeys since 1985 to 1986
Over the same period, bus service mileage:
- fell by an estimated 0.6% in England
- in London was at the same level (over 300 million vehicle miles) seen since 2011 to 2012
- fell 0.7% outside London, with a 10% fall in mileage on services supported by local authorities (which accounted for 17% of total mileage) partly offset by an 1.4% increase in mileage on commercial services
At March 2015, 89% of buses in England had the accessibility certificate which will be required for all buses operating local services by 2017 at the latest (99% of buses in London and 85% outside London).
Public enquiries 020 7944 3094
Published: 29 September 2015
From: Department for Transport
Part of: Bus statistics Road network and traffic Local bus passenger journeys (BUS01) Vehicle distance travelled (BUS02) Passenger distance travelled (BUS03) Costs, fares and revenue (BUS04) Subsidies and concessions (BUS05) Vehicle stocks technology and equipment (BUS06) Employment (BUS07) Frequency and waiting times (BUS09)