People travel by mode tables, produced by Department for Transport.
Mode share, average number of trips: England (with chart) (MS Excel Spreadsheet, 77KB)
Mode share, average distance travelled: England (with chart) (MS Excel Spreadsheet, 76.5KB)
Average number of stages travelled by mode: England (ODS, 16.4KB)
Average distance travelled by mode: England (ODS, 16.9KB)
Average trip length by main mode: England (ODS, 17.6KB)
Average number of trips by trip length: England (MS Excel Spreadsheet, 95.5KB)
Average distance travelled by trip length and mode: England (MS Excel Spreadsheet, 320KB)
Average trip time by main mode: England (ODS, 17.6KB)
Walks of 20 minutes or more by age: England (ODS, 40.9KB)
Frequency of use of different transport modes: England (ODS, 27.4KB)
Bicycle and motorcycle trips per rider per week: England (MS Excel Spreadsheet, 102KB)
Where usually cycled in the last 12 months, England (ODS, 13.7KB)
Number of flights abroad in the last 12 months: England (ODS, 13.9KB)
National travel survey statistics
Public enquiries 020 7944 3097
Published: 30 July 2013
Updated: 27 July 2017
- Table 0303 to 0306, 0308, 0310 to 0313, 0315 to 0317 updated to 2016 data.
- Table 0301 to 0317 updated to the latest data for the year 2015
- Tables updated to the latest data for the year 2014.
- Tables NTS0301 to 0317 updated to include data for the year 2013.
- NTS03 - How people travel (mode) 2012 data added. This replaces previous editions of these tables.
- First published.