Web chat moderation policy
Departmental policy regarding web chat moderation.
All comments submitted during our web chats are pre-moderated.
‘Pre-moderation’ means that comments will not be published instantly; they will first be checked by the host and/or moderator.
Moderation is intended to ensure debate is fair and inclusive, and will not be used to suppress legitimate, reasoned debate about the issues under discussion.
We will try to respond to as many questions and comments during the web chat as the time will allow.
We will normally approve comments for publication as long as they:
- respect other commenters and individuals, comments should not be malicious or offensive in nature, and should not constitute a personal attack on a person’s character
- don’t incite hatred on the basis of race, religion, gender, nationality or sexuality or other personal characteristic
- don’t include swearing, hate-speech or obscenity
- don’t reveal personal details, such as private addresses, phone numbers, email addresses or other online contact details
- don’t break the law, this includes libel,condoning illegal activity, and breaking copyright
- are reasonably concise, and don’t constitute spamming of the channel
- don’t advertise commercial products and services, you can mention relevant products and services as long as they support your comment
- don’t impersonate or falsely claim to represent a person or organisation
- are in English, unfortunately, we do not currently have the resource to moderate comments in other languages
- are on-topic, please don’t post messages that are unrelated to the topic of the web chat
- are not party political in nature
We reserve the right to suspend comments and block participation at any time for any of the above.
We will try and respond to unanswered questions outside of the web chat via other methods if more time/information is required to provide a suitable response.
A transcript of all published comments will be published per web chat for historical purposes.
Published: 24 July 2012
From: Department for Transport