How English waste collection authorities are implementing regulation 13(3), in part 5 of the Waste (England and Wales) Regulations 2011.
The Environment Agency asked English waste collection authorities (WCAs) to complete a survey about how they are implementing regulation 13(3), in part 5 of the Waste (England and Wales) Regulations 2011.
When making arrangements for collection of waste paper, metal, plastic and glass, the regulation requires WCAs to ensure that collections are separate from other waste and from one another if this is both:
- necessary (in accordance with the waste hierarchy and protection of human health and the environment)
- technically, environmentally and economically practicable (TEEP)
The Environment Agency reviewed survey responses taking into account the:
- scale of collections of paper, metal, plastic and glass
- provision by collection method
- WCA progress in carrying out assessments for necessity and TEEP
The survey results show that most WCAs in England have completed necessity and TEEP assessments or planned to do so by the end of 2015.