The Valuation Office Agency (VOA) is an Executive Agency of HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC). HMRC is the Data Controller for personal data processed by VOA. Delivery of Rent Officer Functions in England is administered by the VOA.
How we will use the information you provide
The information you provide will be used to:
- determine Fair Rents and maintain the Register of Rents for regulated tenancies under the Rent Act 1977 and Rent (Agriculture) Act 1976
- fulfil our statutory duty to maintain a List of Rents and provide information to Local Authorities and the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) that helps them determine a claim to Housing Benefit, Local Housing Allowance or Universal Credit
- enable VOA to compile aggregate data which does not personally identify you, your company, or any individual properties or tenancies
The legal basis for processing the information
Under the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), the legal basis for processing your information is the exercise of official authority under Article 6 of GDPR.
What categories of my personal data are VOA Rent Officers processing?
The categories of personal data VOA Rent Officers are processing includes:
For market rent comparables and List of Rents for Local Housing Allowance and Universal Credit:
- tenancy details for private rented sector accommodation including the type of tenancy or licence, terms and rent payable
- details about property you let or rent including the address, type and size of the accommodation (such as number of bedrooms)
- agent contact details, when the information is provided by an agent
- organisation or company contact details when the data is provided direct by an organisation or company
- landlord contact details, when the data is provided direct by the landlord
- tenant contact details, when the data is provided direct by the tenant
For determining and publishing Fair Rents;
- contact details for the tenant
- contact details for the landlord
- details about the type and terms of your tenancy
- details about the property under the terms of the tenancy, type and size of the accommodation (such as number of bedrooms)
For Housing Benefit determinations:
- contact details for the claimant
- details about the type, terms, and length of the tenancy or licence
- details about the dwelling under the terms of the tenancy or licence including the rent payable, type and size of the accommodation (such as number of rooms)
- the number of people in the household and their relationship to the claimant
Where else do VOA Rent Officers get my personal data from?
- Letting Agents
- Local Authorities
- Professional bodies representing letting agents, property managers and landlords
- Publically available sources
- Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government
Sharing information with third parties
We will not share your information with other parties unless it is lawful to do so.
When required, VOA Rent Officers share your data with:
- DWP for the purpose of administering social security benefits
- Rent Officers in Welsh and Scottish Governments for their Rent Officer Functions.
- The Office for National Statistics for research and statistical purposes including Private Rental Market Statistics, the Index of Private Housing Rental Prices as well as national accounts and measures of inflation
How long your information is held
We aim to retain your personal information for only as long as is necessary to undertake our functions and in line with our retention and disposal policy. We will also adhere to any legal or regulatory requirements for retaining or deleting the information.
Note that we can restrict the application of the rights where exemptions apply. For example where compliance with a right would be likely to prejudice the prevention or detection of crime, the apprehension or prosecution of offenders, or the assessment or collection of a tax or duty.
Subject to some lawful restrictions in certain circumstances, you have the right to:
- request a copy of the personal information we hold about you
- have any inaccuracies in the personal information corrected
- request that your personal information is erased where there is no lawful justification for us continuing to process it
- object to the processing of your personal information
- request the restriction of processing of your personal information
To request a copy of the information we hold about you or to make a complaint please contact:
Complaints Investigation Team
Valuation Office Agency
10 South Colonnade
HMRC has appointed a Data Protection Officer to oversee compliance with data protection obligations. The Data Protection Officer can be contacted here firstname.lastname@example.org
You also have the right to make a complaint to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO). You can contact the ICO here:
The Information Commissioner
You can find more information about data protection and your rights by visiting the Information Commissioner’s website.
Changes to this privacy notice
We keep our privacy notices under regular review. If there are any changes we will update this page.
This privacy notice was last updated on 17 June 2019.