Qualitative research to understand the use of commercially available third party software used by businesses for producing VAT returns.
Ref: HMRC Research Report 382 PDF, 218KB, 11 pages
This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request an accessible format.
If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email email@example.com. Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.
Research was carried out to understand:
- small business use of commercially available software to produce VAT returns, with a specific focus on the use of functionality available in some software allowing users to submit VAT returns directly to HMRC from the software (the XML function)
- general information on the types of software used by small businesses to complete their VAT returns and their reasons for choosing specific software
- the reasons why some businesses are using software but not submitting their returns using the automated XML functionality and benefits identified by those businesses who are using the XML functionality
- any potential changes to software that could make business more likely to use the XML functionality in the future
- the views of tax agents in relation to third party software and how businesses use it to build and submit their VAT returns
50 depth interviews were undertaken with small businesses and agents in February and March 2015. The sample consisted of:
- 30 businesses using third party software but not XML
- 10 businesses using third party software and XML
- 10 tax agents
Published: 15 July 2015
From: HM Revenue & Customs