© Crown copyright 2016
This publication is licensed under the terms of the Open Government Licence v3.0 except where otherwise stated. To view this licence, visit nationalarchives.gov.uk/doc/open-government-licence/version/3 or write to the Information Policy Team, The National Archives, Kew, London TW9 4DU, or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Where we have identified any third party copyright information you will need to obtain permission from the copyright holders concerned.
This publication is available at https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/ukti-teams-in-the-english-regions/ukti-north-west-helping-companies-export-and-grow-overseas
1. What we do
The Department for International Trade (DIT) North West International Trade Team supports small to medium businesses (SMEs) to develop their international sales. We help first time or experienced exporters enter new markets.
Our International Trade Advisers (ITAs) provide support to businesses through services tailored to their needs.
We help businesses who are located within Cumbria, Lancashire, Merseyside, Greater Manchester and Cheshire. Find your nearest DIT Office.
2. Who we work with
We work with a wide range of business support organisations across the North West including:
- Chambers of Commerce
- Local Enterprise Partnerships (LEPs)
- Institute of Directors (IoD)
- Engineering Employers Federation (EEF)
- Confederation of British Industry (CBI)
- Federation of Small Businesses (FSB)
- Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales (ICAEW)
- all 15 North West Universities
We also work with wide range of sector organisations and financial/professional services companies.
3. Message from Clive Drinkwater, DIT North West Regional Director
If your business is based in the vibrant North West, we have a fantastic range of products and services – delivered by an experienced and enthusiastic team.
Put simply, we are here to help if:
- you are not currently exporting, but would like to
- you are already exporting, but would like to break into new markets
- you are facing any difficulties in your exporting journey
We have access to a range of partners who complement our services so that you can be sure that you will receive the right assistance, at the right time.
We have details of the events for different markets and sectors, and our trade mission programme. Uniquely to the North West, we also have export champions, who have volunteered to give up some of their valuable time to inspire and support other exporters.
I hope you will find our services to be of great help to your business. We always welcome feedback, so if you have any comments or suggestions, please feel free to get in touch with the team or myself directly.
Good luck and happy exporting!
4. Contact DIT North West
Contact us if you want to talk about growing your business overseas.
Companies in the North West - export enquiries
DIT North West
90 Great Bridgewater Street
Telephone 0333 320 0392
Contact your local DIT office for enquiries about exporting and find out how DIT can help.
5. Our services
- get tailored information about overseas markets
- access major buyers, governments and supply chains overseas
- join market visits
- seek support and advice as a first time exporter
See our list of services for exporters
6. Register for export events
DIT North West organises events which help companies develop their export capabilities or enter new markets.
7. Meet an International Trade Adviser (ITA)
We have ITAs across the North West region. They have proven business skills and can give in depth sector and market advice.
ITAs can help with:
- export training
- business planning
- getting contacts in overseas markets
- market research
- market visits
- market promotion and publicity
- export documentation
We have sector specialists in:
- business services
- engineering and manufacturing
Register your interest in meeting an International Trade Adviser for free.
8. Clive Drinkwater: how businesses can export profitably
Clive Drinkwater has produced 9 informative videos on profitable export, ranging from planning to language, culture and finance.
9. Success for companies we’ve helped
10. Get updates from DIT North West
Email us to sign up to our e-newsletter for monthly updates on sectors, international trade news, events and opportunities.