1. What we do
The Department for International Trade (DIT) North East International Trade Team supports all businesses in the North East to develop their international sales with programmes primarily aimed at SME (small and medium enterprises) and medium-sized businesses.
We help first time or experienced exporters enter new markets.
Our International Trade Advisers (ITAs) provide support to businesses through services tailored to their needs.
We help businesses who are located within the North East, defined as those businesses operating in Northumberland, Tees Valley, Durham, and Tyne and Wear.
DIT have a professional network of staff based in our Embassies and Consulates worldwide.
2. Who we work with
We work with local organisations, including:
- the North East England Chamber of Commerce
- North East LEP
- Tees Valley LEP
- Federations of Small Businesses
- Confederation of British Industry
- Institute of Directors
We also work with a host of other business support organisations, including banks and professional services companies specialising in law and accountancy.
3. Message from David Coppock, DIT North East Regional Director
World trade is expected to grow by $250 trillion by 2050. We want to ensure that North East firms get appropriate assistance to ensure they have the knowledge and expertise to tap into this growth.
Export of goods from the North East is on the increase and DIT is here to ensure potential, new and experienced exporters continue contributing to this trend. A trend we can be proud of alongside the fact that we are the only English region that has a consistent trade surplus – currently running at more than £1.62 billion fewer goods imported than exported.
In the last European Regional Development Fund (ERDF) programme we’ve helped:
- businesses generate over £26 billion in additional sales
- create 346.5 new jobs through the ERDF project
- secure a further 1,014 jobs with our trade support activities for the ERDF project
Contact my team to see how we can help you take your first step to export or support your expansion into more overseas markets.
4. Contact DIT North East
Contact us if you want to talk about growing your business overseas.
Companies in the North East - export enquiries
DIT North East
Aykley Heads Business Centre
Telephone 0345 136 0169
Contact your local DIT office for enquiries about exporting and find out how DIT can help.
5. Our services
- get tailored information about overseas markets
- access major buyers, governments and supply chains overseas
- join market visits
- seek support and advice as a first time exporter
See our list of services for exporters
6. Register for export events
DIT North East organises events which help companies develop their export capabilities or enter new markets.
7. Meet an International Trade Adviser (ITA)
We have 19 ITAs across the North East region. They have proven business skills and can give in depth sector and market advice.
ITAs can help with:
- export training
- business planning
- getting contacts in overseas markets
- market research
- market visits
- market promotion and publicity
- export documentation
Register your interest in meeting an International Trade Adviser for free.
8. Success for companies we’ve helped
9. Get updates from DIT North East
Email us to sign up to our e-newsletter for monthly updates on sectors, international trade news, events and opportunities.