UK Quality Infrastructure: how developing and transition economies benefit and which UK organisations to contact.
PDF, 5.47MB, 12 pages
This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request an accessible format.
If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email email@example.com. Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.
How the UK Quality Infrastructure benefits developing and transition economies
Regulatory Delivery, along with the British Standards Institution (BSI), the National Physical Laboratory (NPL) and the United Kingdom Accreditation Service (UKAS), oversees standardisation, testing and measurement, and certification and accreditation in the UK as part of the UK’s National Quality Infrastructure (UKQI).
Elements of the UK’s National Quality Infrastructure
The 4 elements that make up the UKQI are:
- standardisation, creating the national and international standards that specify how things should be made and done in a way that is mutually acceptable
- testing and measurement, implementing specifications and standards to ensure validity and consistency
- certification, ensuring those who use standards and codes are applying them in the right way
- accreditation, ensuring those who carry out testing, certification and inspection are competent to do so
Services that UKQI provides
UKQI partners provide a comprehensive range of consultancy services to overseas governments wanting to build the capacity of their own National Quality Infrastructure. This includes:
- needs analysis in order to target the intervention in the most efficient and effective way
- legislative review and advice on how the regulatory framework can be improved
- consultancy and training
- technical assistance covering standards, accreditation, metrology and quality assessment
The specialist services provided by the UKQI are:
- the full range of UKAS accreditations
- advanced accreditation services such as of medical laboratories, diagnostic imaging services and other healthcare activities
- training and development to help organizations reach International Laboratory Accreditation Cooperation (ILAC) and International Accreditation Forum (IAF) signatory status
- assistance with standards’ development
- research to identify published or in-development standards in a specific area of interest
- support with developing a standards and metrology strategy in an innovative area or emerging technology
- standards’ implementation training
- consultancy in defining, setting up and commissioning testing facilities
- measurement training needs analysis
- measurement skills training
- training for legal/regulatory metrology personnel
- type approval services to companies manufacturing measuring instruments
- consultancy on which measurement equipment to buy
- measurement facility design, build, implementation and commissioning
For more information on these services please either contact RD on the details below or visit the UKQI website.
Who to contact at RD
National Quality Infrastructure
020 8943 7216
Published: 22 September 2016
From: Regulatory Delivery