Train to teach in England: non-UK applicants

Find out what you’ll need to train to teach in England, including information about qualifications, visas and immigration, and financial support.

This publication was withdrawn on

Applies to England



This guidance is for anyone who wants to train to be a teacher in England and is not from the UK.

Published 7 April 2021
Last updated 6 March 2023 + show all updates
  1. Updated section on fees and financial support and added information about international relocation payments.

  2. Updated information about graduate and high potential individual visas.

  3. Updated the salary requirement for a skilled worker visa, to reflect changes to teacher pay scales. Clarified language on the relationship between settled status in the UK and eligibility for financial support.

  4. Information on bursaries and scholarships for those training to teach physics or languages has been added.

  5. Added new information on a test that people who do not have qualifications equivalent to GCSEs can sit. Fees for teacher training now range from about £12,000 to about £22,000. Eligibility for financial support has been clarified. Information has been added about the high potential individual visa, support for Ukrainian nationals, and the UK Visas and Immigration help service. Student Finance England and DfE’s contact details have been updated.

  6. We have removed the section on 'International travel during coronavirus (COVID-19)'.

  7. Added information about applying early due to requirements to pass criminal record and health checks, updated salary requirement threshold figures for a skilled worker visa and added Oak National Academy link.

  8. Updated guidance Train to teach in England if you’re a non-UK citizen.

  9. Added links to a 'worker' is someone who is employed or self-employed in the UK and a 'family member' is a spouse or civil partner, child and, sometimes, parent or grandparent.

  10. Added information on international travel during coronavirus (COVID-19) and updated information about the EU Settlement Scheme and Graduate visa for salaried and unsalaried teacher training courses.

  11. First published.