This manual is intended to provide those responsible for flood defences, coastal erosion protection structures and other coastal structures with practical guidance on how to determine, monitor, assess and mitigate for the effects of toe scour.
The issues covered include:
- monitoring of beach levels and structure condition (including links to coastal monitoring programmes)
- trigger points for action during the life of the asset (including links to ‘performance features’)
- maintenance and replacement of elements of the asset or of the whole structure
- environmental and sustainability issues surrounding scheme planning, design and operation
- inputs to the assessment and design processes (including relationship to defence fragility, both for asset management and new design)
- selection of mitigation options to enhance or prolong performance of the asset.