This report, by Robert Hill, John Dunford, Natalie Parish, Simon Rea and Leigh Sandals, examines how sponsored and converter academy chains are impacting on school leaders and leadership.
The research evolved around a number of questions including:
- How many chains are emerging and how many schools and academies are involved?
- How are chains planning to expand over time and how do they see this happening?
- How do chains that take on underperforming schools support improvement?
- What is the evidence of impact and how can this be sustained over time?
- How do the most effective chains support the transfer of knowledge and effective practice between schools within the chain?