Statutory guidance about the support that pupils with medical conditions should receive at school.
Ref: DFE-00393-2014 PDF, 285KB, 29 pages
MS Word Document, 120KB
This statutory guidance is for:
- governing bodies of local-authority-maintained schools
- proprietors of academies
- management committees of pupil referral units (these are places that provide education for children who can’t go to a mainstream school)
It’s also relevant for anyone supporting children with medical conditions.
The templates give example text that schools can use to:
- create and invite parents to contribute to a child’s individual healthcare plan
- ask for parental agreement for administering medicine
- keep a record of medicine administered to children
- keep a record of staff training in administration of medicines
Statutory guidance sets out what schools and local authorities must do to comply with the law. You should follow the guidance unless you have a very good reason not to.
Published: 1 September 2014
Updated: 16 August 2017
- Extended the review date to autumn 2017.
- Updates to the main document include clarifying the distinction between statutory and non-statutory guidance and adding references to the SEND code of practice.
- First published.