From Autumn 2021, early career teachers undergoing induction will receive 2 years of professional development and support underpinned by the Early Career Framework (ECF).
Early Career Framework
The ECF was designed in collaboration with an expert advisory group. It has been designed to support early career teacher development in 5 core areas:
- behaviour management
- professional behaviours
The ECF underpins what early career teachers should be entitled to learn about and learn how to do. This is based on:
- expert guidance
- the best available research and evidence
For national roll-out in Autumn 2021, we have committed to:
- funding and guaranteeing 5% off-timetable in the second year of teaching for all early career teachers - early career teachers will continue to have a 10% timetable reduction in their first year of induction
- creating high quality, freely available ECF curricula and training materials
- establishing full ECF training programmes
- funding time for mentors to support early career teachers
- fully funding mentor training
Further details on the role of the ECF in the delivery of a strengthened induction will be published as part of updated statutory guidance. Subject to regulatory changes, we expect the guidance to take effect from September 2021.
We’re committed to continuing our work with the sector on the implementation of ECF.
We are planning an early roll out from September 2020 in:
- the North East
- Greater Manchester
This will give us the opportunity to understand how to support teachers and schools with implementation of the framework, including continuing to monitor workload considerations.
We will contact schools in early roll out areas in Spring 2019.