Guidance for inspecting schools under the common inspection framework, with a mythbuster document on common misconceptions.
MS Word Document, 964KB
This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request an accessible format.
If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.
PDF, 1.08MB, 77 pages
PDF, 262KB, 4 pages
The handbook sets out what inspectors must do and what schools can expect, and provides guidance for inspectors on making their judgements. It describes the main activities undertaken by inspectors conducting inspections of schools in England under section 5 of the Education Act 2005. It also sets out the judgements that inspectors will make and on which they will report.
This handbook was updated on 13 October 2017: all changes will take effect on 30 October.
It is to be used in inspections under the ‘Common inspection framework: education, skills and early years’.
The mythbuster document sets out facts about Ofsted’s requirements and dispels myths that can result in unnecessary workloads in schools.
Published: 15 June 2015
Updated: 13 October 2017
- Changes to the Outcomes for pupils section reflecting changes to GCSE grades and data reports (a new IDSR); updates to Clarification for schools section and mythbuster document around myths and misunderstandings; clarification of arrangements for meeting relevant members of the governance structure and inclusion of chief executives or equivalents in inspections of academies in multi-academy trusts; and new content explaining what happens to schools that receive the ‘requires improvement’ and ‘inadequate’ judgements.
- Link to latest inspection blog post with summary of changes to handbook.
- Updated to reflect changes in legislation.
- Added HTML version of inspection myths document.
- Updated clarification document for schools added. This document has been updated to reflect the handbook for use from September 2015.
- Final document for use from September 2015 published.
- First published.