Statutory guidance on the exclusion of pupils from local-authority-maintained schools, academies and pupil referral units.
This guidance details the legal responsibilities for those who exclude students from educational settings, including:
- local authorities
- governing bodies
- academy trusts
- independent review panel members
- independent review panel clerks
- special educational needs experts
It governs the exclusion of pupils from:
- local-authority-maintained schools
- academies and free schools
- pupil referral units
Statutory guidance sets out what schools and local authorities must do to comply with the law. You should follow the guidance unless you have a very good reason not to.
It would be helpful to read this guidance alongside: