Statutory guidance on the exclusion of pupils from local-authority-maintained schools, academies and pupil referral units.
This guidance details the legal responsibilities for those who exclude students from educational settings, including:
- local authorities
- governing bodies
- academy trusts
- independent review panel members
- independent review panel clerks
- special educational needs experts
It governs the exclusion of pupils from:
- local-authority-maintained schools
- academies and free schools
- pupil referral units
Statutory guidance sets out what schools and local authorities must do to comply with the law. You should follow the guidance unless you have a very good reason not to.
It would be helpful to read this guidance alongside:
Published: 20 June 2012
Updated: 10 February 2015
- Added further clarification for anybody reviewing exclusion decisions taken between 5 January and 1 February 2015.
- The School Reform Minister Nick Gibb has removed the current guidance to address some issues with process and we will be issuing updated guidance in due course.
- Added the document 'Exclusion from maintained schools, academies and pupil referral units in England: from 5 January 2015'.
- First published.