© Crown copyright 2015
This publication is licensed under the terms of the Open Government Licence v3.0 except where otherwise stated. To view this licence, visit nationalarchives.gov.uk/doc/open-government-licence/version/3 or write to the Information Policy Team, The National Archives, Kew, London TW9 4DU, or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Where we have identified any third party copyright information you will need to obtain permission from the copyright holders concerned.
This publication is available at https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/river-thames-weir-and-lock-improvements/godstow-weir-improvements
Godstow Weir B is situated near Wolvercote, immediately downstream of Godstow Bridge. It was built in 1937.
The weir spans approximately 9 metres and has 6 vertical-lift (or ‘buck’) gates, all of which are currently operated manually but may be upgraded to motorised operation as part of these works.
The steelwork, operating gear and walkway at Godstow are all in good condition, but some repairs to flaking and cracking of the concrete surfacing is needed. However, the weir gates are significantly degraded and require replacement. Sections of the underwater support structure are also badly corroded.
Latest update: January 2014
Following an initial appraisal of high-level options, the Environment Agency is now considering wider options to carry out improvements to this weir.
For more information, email: WTenquiries@environment-agency.gov.uk