School teachers’ pay and conditions: guidance
Guidance to help schools and governing bodies develop their approach to teachers' and school leaders' pay.
Ref: DFE- 00187 -2016 PDF, 511KB, 54 pages
Implementing your school's approach to pay: guidance for maintained schools and local authorities - Welsh version
Ref: DFE-00203-2016 PDF, 580KB, 55 pages
This is for:
- governing bodies
- local authorities
- school leaders
- school teachers
It applies to local-authority-maintained schools.
It will help schools:
- carry out changes set out in the 2016 school teachers’ pay and conditions document
- set school leaders’ pay
- manage performance-related pay progression
- meet their equalities responsibilities
- use appropriate evidence when making appraisal and pay decisions
- manage pay decision appeals
Published: 8 August 2013
Updated: 25 August 2016
- Added Welsh version of 2016 guidance on implementing your school's approach to pay.
- Updated the document to reflect changes in school teachers’ pay and conditions in 2016.
- Added a Welsh version of the document.
- Expanded on the definition of 'significant change' in relation to new appointments.
- Added Welsh translation.
- Updated departmental advice to reflect the 2015 school teachers’ pay and conditions document. Incorporated the previously separate 'HR practice in relation to teachers' pay' document.
- Added the document 'HR practice in relation to teachers' pay'.
- Added Welsh version of the guidance document.
- Updated departmental advice to reflect the 2014 school teachers’ pay and conditions document.
- Added Welsh version of 'Changes to school teachers' pay and conditions 2014' departmental advice document.
- Added 3 more resources about pay determinations.
- Added additional document 'Changes to school teachers' pay and conditions 2014'.
- First published.