This guidance provides support for fuel suppliers, independent verifiers and others involved in the supply of biofuels for road transport.
This Renewable Transport Fuel Obligation (RTFO) guidance is for fuel suppliers, independent verifiers and others involved in the supply of road transport biofuels in the UK but not those reporting under the Motor Fuel Greenhouse Gas Emissions Reporting Regulations, for which separate guidance has been issued.
The RTFO guidance is in 3 parts.
Part 1: process guidance
Part 1 provides information on how fossil fuel and renewable transport fuel suppliers should comply with the order plus practical instructions on how to submit required information. It provides information about:
- the obligation that the RTFO order puts on certain fuel suppliers
- applying for and maintaining an account with the RTFO administrator
- applying for Renewable Transport Fuels Certificates (RTFCs)
- penalties for non-compliance
Part 2: carbon and sustainability guidance
Part 2 provides assistance on carbon and sustainability reporting for fossil and renewable transport fuel suppliers receiving RTFCs. It provides information about:
- reporting data
- demonstrating compliance with greenhouse gas and land use
- mass balance rules
- wastes and residues
- regional emissions from biofuels cultivation
The biofuels carbon calculator allows fuel suppliers to calculate the carbon saved on a batch of fuels.
Part 3: guidance for verifiers
Biofuels carbon and sustainability data must be independently verified before RTFCs are awarded. Part 3 provides information about:
- the purpose and requirements of verification
- planning and risk assessment
- developing an assurance strategy
- reporting and assurance statements
Year 8 guidance is still available.