- Department for Environment, Food & Rural Affairs
- Part of:
- Protected food name scheme: UK applications being considered and Protected food name scheme: UK registered products
- 7 August 2007
- Last updated:
- 22 November 2016, see all updates
The specification for Cornish sardines, a protected food name product.
This document provides detail on a protected food name product from the UK, Cornish sardines, which has been given Protected Geographical Indication (PGI) status.
The EU protected food name scheme covers regional and traditional foods whose authenticity and origin can be guaranteed.
An updated specification for this product was submitted for European Commission scrutiny on 22 January 2015.
The EU will only give a product the PGI mark if they decide it has a reputation, characteristics or qualities that are a result of the area it’s associated with.
Published: 7 August 2007
Updated: 22 November 2016
- Updated the product specification for the amendment being considered.
- Added the amended specification from February 2016.
- First published.