Departmental advice for school leaders and school staff on preventing and responding to bullying as part of their overall behaviour policy.
This departmental advice is for:
- school leaders
- school staff
- governing bodies
This applies to:
- maintained schools
- community schools
- foundation schools
- voluntary schools
- community special schools
- foundation special schools
- local authorities
- academies and free schools
- pupil referral units
- non-maintained special schools
- independent schools
- sixth-form colleges
It may also be useful for further education and community settings.
This advice will help schools prevent and respond to bullying as part of their overall behaviour policy. It outlines:
- the government’s approach to bullying
- legal obligations and the powers schools have to tackle bullying
- the principles which underpin the most effective anti-bullying strategies in schools.
The factsheet offers advice on supporting children and young people who are bullied.
Both documents list further resources where school staff can access specialist information on the specific issues they face.